Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: 1st Month Complete !! What do you think the racin has been like???  (Read 3411 times)

Offline blkflagagain

• Fell short of the 20 race mark in 2009.. Quite sad indeed!!!
  • Series Owner
  • Good luck to all in 2012
 Just noticed this forum was kinda dead on the Barrie side of things so I wanted to know from a fans perspective what some of you people of thought of the first month of racing at Barrie this year???? For me one things stands out not a repeat winner in a feature this year shows good competitive balance in all classes this year!!!! And in the Lates to be honest I thought we could be in for a disappointment with the losses of such drivers as Gaunt and Watson but that couldnt be further from the truth with some of the former drivers that have come back Malcolm and Mcloed and Inglis among that group. Solid 17-18 LM car counts on the smaller track are just fine with me. Bit of a shock on Walters permormance this year but his car is all out of whack after hitting the wall week 2. I'm guessin it wont be long till Stompin Tom gets back on track to join the points battle as well!!!! What you guys think??? Who you like for the top 3 at seasons end???

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6097.msg25363#msg25363
Once a king always a king. Once a queen always a queen. Once a knight.......... never enough!!!

CanadianRacingOnline.com

Offline Justme

• Melson Mafia
  • Team Owner
I think Baker has a good chance in the late models, Ducette in the T/C, Crumbie might take the purestock A, and I'm guess It might come down to Monette and maybe Melson in the charger's.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6097.msg25366#msg25366
Real Stock Car Drivers Go In Deeper And Come Out Harder!

Do The DW Shuffle!

Offline hellothere

• Series Owner
  • my friend is rich
gotta agree with blk flag wasnt sure about the late with all the ones that left but man so far its real good. glad the black flag came out last week to settle things down a bit, but overall think things are real good racing..chargers are putting on a great show, was a bit nervous at first hoping it would not be like 4 fun but turning out to be a great division.. 

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6097.msg25368#msg25368
even his accountant thinks my friend is rich

CanadianRacingOnline.com

Offline Shadowracer

• Global Moderator
  • Series Owner
Actually, I have a question for Barrie fans: Has the show changed much since the Speedway became "NASCAR" sanctioned? And I mean from the fan side of the fence.

Whats better, what's worse, what stayed the same?

We (or they) did that at Delaware a few years back and I'm just academically curious how Barrie's experience compares to ours.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6097.msg25375#msg25375
CHECK OUT THE "SHADOW REPORT" GROUP ON FACEBOOK FOR LIVE RACE PICS AND UPDATES

Offline blkflagagain

• Series Owner
 Well Shadow as far as the show goes I dont see that many changes but I'm also a Speedway employee so maybe I dont have the proper perspective on this. There are some new changes around the track that I think will make things better but I dont know how many are directly attributed to being under the NASCAR sanctioning. We did get new safety lighting provided by one of the American companies affiliated with NASCAR and now having transponders should make for error free scoring but I think that credit should go to the owners at Barrie more than NASCAR itself. More changes are in the works I think including a possibly backstretch flagstand as well. Lots of nice new NASCAR signage and the Uniforms provided to Track officials look great!!! I know they were pushin the NASCAR memberships pretty hard up here but to be quite honest I dont know how the sales are goin but I would guess reasonably well!!!! Hope this answered some of your questions!!! Enjoy the season At Delaware, would love to go to that track myself for a Late Model race never been there in my life and I'm in my 30s!!! Enjoyed the Delaware Trucks at Barrie last year !! Any idea why they wont be makin a return visit this year??? Went over well with the fans up here was moderately disappointed not to see them on our sched this year!!!!

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6097.msg25381#msg25381
Once a king always a king. Once a queen always a queen. Once a knight.......... never enough!!!

Offline Mobil1fan

• Series Owner
I'll be interested to see what sort of rule changes come to the Barrie LMs at the end of the season, specifically if they're brought more in line with what the other Weekly Series tracks nearby (Lake Erie, Holland, Motordrome, etc.) have for specs...

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6097.msg25383#msg25383

Offline hellothere

• Series Owner
  • my friend is rich
thats a great point if they sre in the same points race as the other track i wonder if the rules will become similiar ???????????/ mmmmmmmmmmm

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6097.msg25384#msg25384

Offline Mobil1fan

• Series Owner
I don't know about all the cars, but I don't think it'd be much for most of them up there to convert over to a LM spec (ie. 31, 47, 10, 19, 69) as a lot of the teams up there were at LM spec in the recent past. In all honesty, I think that a change to LM spec might be exactly what Barrie needs to set it apart from Sunset...

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6097.msg25385#msg25385

Offline Shadowracer

• Global Moderator
  • Series Owner
Well Shadow as far as the show goes I dont see that many changes but I'm also a Speedway employee so maybe I dont have the proper perspective on this.
<snipped for brevity>
 Hope this answered some of your questions!!! Enjoy the season At Delaware, would love to go to that track myself for a Late Model race never been there in my life and I'm in my 30s!!! Enjoyed the Delaware Trucks at Barrie last year !! Any idea why they wont be makin a return visit this year??? Went over well with the fans up here was moderately disappointed not to see them on our sched this year!!!!

Hey thanks for the post! I know from a fan point of view, not much really changed when Delaware became a NASCAR track. (heard a fair bit of grumbling from the infield...but that's different) Ultimately, I think it just gave the announcers a little more to talk about.

On the other hand, maybe it was a learning experience for NASCAR in Canada too, and that you guys are reaping the benefits of that.

Anyway, I haven't made it up that way since just before the track was reconfigured, but I knew I could always count on a good show at Barrie. For some reason its the Thundercars that come to mind...Barrie Thunders are just awesome.

I have no idea why the Trucks aren't coming back this year. From all reports I heard, the guys had a blast running up there. I don't think its an issue with Barrie...I think it may have more to do with the invitationals at Cayuga, and the fact they can only schedule so many road trips for those guys. You guys should start your own truck division instead. Actually, I believe you guys had the first truck division...too bad it was about 10 years too early to catch on!

Anyway, yeah...you gotta come see the LMs race here. Its pretty tense and really fast. Our regular Friday night guys are getting better speeds than Hanley and Beiderman did back when LM was pretty much unlimited. (only, they do it much quieter now)

Anyway, the big LM days at Del this year are the Partsouce 140 on June 29, the APC twin 75s on July 22, and the big Labor Day race. <end promo>

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6097.msg25386#msg25386

Offline hellothere

• Series Owner
  • my friend is rich
really too bad about the trucks, they did put on an awsome show at Barrie the fans really liked them

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6097.msg25390#msg25390

Offline Kahnefreak

• Melson Mafia
  • Series Owner
  • Melson Racing
    • http://www.piczo.com/gpsracing
I think the season at barrie has been alright so far. There is so much happening in terms of new stuff. The charger class is doing great....i think they may need to move a couple of cars up though...i think Monette will win there and Melson will be right on his tail....I think one of the burrows boys will win in the A division. The thunder cars i think Davey will end up back on top again if he can stay consistent...and i'd have to go with Baker for the late models. All in all good stuff so far...A few odd rumours but things like that happen in racing everywhere. Everyone is putting on a good show on the track and thats what the business is all about!

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6097.msg25393#msg25393
"2nd place is just the first loser"

Offline blkflagagain

• Series Owner
Thank you for the post SHADOW!!! Your right the Thunder Cars are great at Barrie probably run the most caution free features per year than any class we have. Great action as well!!! This year added to the mix are the NEXT GENERATION CARS vs Older Style Thunders ( Camaros, Monte Carlos)etc but no particular style car has been dominating yet so thats one of the things I personally keep an eye on!!! Dont know if youve seen many pics from our site on the Next Generation Thunders but the cars really look great like the challenger from yester year. Anyways gonna for sure make it down your way for one of those races most likely the July Twin 75 show fits my schedule better!!! Thanks for the info!!

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6097.msg25396#msg25396

Offline Thunder6

• Don't mess with Tex
  • Series Owner
Re: 1st Month Complete !! What do you think the racin has been like???
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 03:38:30 AM »
Hey Shadow

I was down at Delaware on the May 24 weekend. Nice track and some awesome racing. It was my first time at Delaware, I will be back for sure! (too bad about the distance from Barrie, otherwise it would be more often). Barrie is my home track and I'm getting my own Thunder Car ready for competition right now. Thanks for the compliments on the Barrie Thunders.

You were right the L/M are fast and there was some great racing from that class and also the modifieds. I thought the black flag procedure was a little odd, (penalized driver waits on the infield pit lane until they throw the green) but I guess the L/M restart procedures we have here would seem odd to you (drivers picking high or low lanes, no 1-2-3 double).

The other thing was that the Super Stocks were pretty well all Novas. I thought I was at Barrie Speedway in about 1984. I haven't seen a Nova Street Stock type car in about 20 years. There was maybe 1 Malibu like mine, a couple of Montes and 1 Camaro and a Firebird. It was like being in a time warp. Most of our Thunders are Montes, with a few Malibus, 1 Camaro and the Next Gen cars (newer bodystyles like Luminas etc... with metric chassis and crates).

The trucks were really cool too, and yes they were here maybe 10 years ago or more, I think only a few guys built the trucks, they didn't have enough of them for a class so it died. Then the four cylinders came along. As I recall this is what occured at that time.

I guess that I should not have hijacked the thread with my discussion of Delaware, but it came up here.

I haven't noticed too much change at Barrie with the Nascar deal. I think most of the changes are with the Cascar/Nascar deals, Barrie was on the old Cascar sched so that isn't new, and the aforementioned corner warning lights. Lots of Nascar advertising around the speedway, maybe some added internet coverage on Nascar.com, supposedly some added money for the drivers point fund. That's about it, pretty much business as usual same as all the other years I've been going. (since 1980). Most of the new stuff is the initiatives of the ownership. Don't get me wrong they have done a lot of work at the speedway, it shows, and it has to be one of the nicest facilites around. IMHO of course.

As usual the racing at Barrie has been spectacular. And not one person has been winning them all. Everybody hates that, except fans of the guy who is dominating. Take Earnhardt Sr., Jeff Gordon, Jr Hanley, Stompin' Tom as examples. A lot of people hated/hates those guys because they won a LOT. So close racing with a mix of winners works, and this season has been like that so far.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6097.msg26251#msg26251
"Dont be BEECH! And as always comrades, have nice day" fpsrussia

Offline Shadowracer

• Global Moderator
  • Series Owner
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 01:15:54 PM »
Hey Thunder6, glad you made it down. I'm thinking you were here for all-features night. That was a good night!

I hear ya about the distance. I love Barrie, but its just too far to get to on a regular basis.

It funny you mentioned the Novas. Delaware seems to be the only track where the guys favor them, and its been going on for a long time. In the 80s, the SS division was almost exclusively Chevelles, then the Novas took off. Over the years, Monte Carlos have been fairly rare here in SS. I guess its part due to the fact that most of those Nova SS have been around for 20 years, getting sold and handed down from driver to driver. But, now a few guys have competitive Monte Carlos, and they're letting Camaros in, so that should shake things up a bit.

I don't know that I'd be so enamored of the "next gen" cars if they were to do that here. I personally like the idea of a class dedicated to good old American Iron. (I like seeing Chevelles, Novas, Monte Carlos, and Camaros.) But it may be that in another couple years, we may be headed that way too.

Actually, we do (or have done) the LM restarts like you guys do, but only during the big specials. I'm still undecided which I like better, but I think I lean toward the 1 2 3 in line way of doing it. Mostly because I keep track of the running order on paper for my reports, and the shakeup that comes whenever they do that inside/outside thing drives me batty. But it makes for a good show, especially here where inside lane or out really means something.

Anyway, glad you came and enjoyed!

(PartSource 140 coming up this Friday...it'll be worth the trip.)

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6097.msg26267#msg26267

Offline Scooter

• Series Owner
  • Just Giv-er''turn left Just Giver again''turn left
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 02:31:25 AM »
I have been at BSW for two season now and I have been at Sunset, and BSW has a reputation to uphold now,and the racing is Great!!!,, and BSW is the only track I will go to now Only because They owners are doing a great job and its clean there,,We are about Half season now and I predict along with That knanefreak''' Monette'''CHARGERS''Slaughter ''A Class''Doucette ''T.C. and Baker L.M. For Champs..

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6097.msg27096#msg27096

HTML ezBlock

site
stats