Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: Anyone go to the OSS race at Mosport?  (Read 11110 times)

Offline Shadowracer

• Global Moderator
  • Series Owner
Anyone go to the OSS race at Mosport?
« on: June 17, 2007, 02:24:09 AM »
The results section of the OSS page lists Robblee as a winner for a 50 lapper, and McGlynn as the winner of a 30 lapper. Other results are still pending I guess.

Anyone go? Kinda wondering whats up with a 30 and a 50 being run, unless its a typo.

Wanted to go myself, but a little too long a haul for my taste in Saturday nite racing. Went back to Flammy instead. (great show there...as always. Nice crowd too.)

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6165.msg25857#msg25857
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 02:26:06 AM by Shadowracer »
CHECK OUT THE "SHADOW REPORT" GROUP ON FACEBOOK FOR LIVE RACE PICS AND UPDATES

CanadianRacingOnline.com

Anyone go to the OSS race at Mosport?
« on: June 17, 2007, 02:24:09 AM »

Offline Racechaser

• Series Owner
Re: Anyone go to the OSS race at Mosport?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 03:18:31 AM »
Yes, the Mosport promoter wanted a change in the format, thus the twin features with a complete inversion in the 2nd one. He also likes his show over early.
The OSS put on an excellent show with no cautions in the 1st race and only one quick one in the 2nd for a solo spin.
Steve Robblee was the overall winner, Shawn McGlynn was second.
I believe Cayuga will be twin 50's. Inversions will 7 in the 1st and the whole field in the 2nd. Should be interesting.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6165.msg25858#msg25858

Offline Pinecrest

• King of Canadian Racing Online
  • Series Owner
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 07:26:26 AM »
Yes, the Mosport promoter wanted a change in the format, thus the twin features with a complete inversion in the 2nd one. He also likes his show over early.
The OSS put on an excellent show with no cautions in the 1st race and only one quick one in the 2nd for a solo spin.
Steve Robblee was the overall winner, Shawn McGlynn was second.
I believe Cayuga will be twin 50's. Inversions will 7 in the 1st and the whole field in the 2nd. Should be interesting.

I was going to Berlin this weekend to see the ASA race but an illness in the family made it imperative that I stay close to home but did allow me to get over to see the inaugural OSS race . I had mentioned in another thread that the car count looked iffy at best for this series and I suspected they would only have around 13 cars and guess what , I was right 13 cars is all they had .  Actually they had 11 race cars and two junkers the #00 car seemed to be being assembled at the track when I arrived  and the #36 since I know the series requires an American made engine must have been running a Briggs and Stratton .

The crowd was strong I would estimate the place was about 80 % of capacity and the show did start on time and was run off very professionally with no delays. Time trials were finished quickly since they had so few cars and were uneventful with the exception of  the much heralded Ashley Taws who I didn't get a time on since I had forgot to bring my calender . Hey Ashley if you keep taking your foot out of it at the starters stand and floating it in the next 30 car lengths you will find yourself starting last in every race even behind the junk cars. Dave Didero  aka midamerica qualified 9th or 10th in what seemed to be an ill handling car .

The fact that the advertised 100 lapper format was out the window and that there would be two 50 lap races was announced to the crowd that that seemed apathetic about it who seemed to be there to see the regular racing classes of LLM, Modifieds and the 6 or less class which all put on a good show with very few cautions. The green fell on the newly formated first 50 lapper and after 4 or 5 laps the cars strung out with very little passing . Bob Merrifield broke about a dozen laps in which left the 10 race cars and the two aforementioned junkers circling the fast half mile for 50 caution free laps that could be best described as a snoozer with Steve Robblee taking the win .

The regular classes were run off quickly with some very good racing and the OSS cars were brought out again and lined up for what the crowd was now informed would be a 30 lapper which did not seem to phase any of the remaining spectators since more then half of the original crowd that had chosen to leave prior to the start of the second segment of the OSS program . The inversion made for about 10 laps of interesting racing while the handful of fast cars negotiated their way through the handful of slow cars . 12 cars started the second segment with Dave Didero pulling off after the first lap leaving 11 cars strung out around the half mile track . With the exception of Robblee Sr putting the bumper to Robblee Jr who was holding him up badly there was little action exception of some unknown back marker #73 who spun out in the middle of the back chute all by himself , how you spin out by yourself in the middle of the straitaway I don't know. Shawn McGlynn had the set up nailed for the second segment and was long gone and no one was going to catch him unless he broke .

There is not much else to ad other then other then as I predicted Ashley Taws could not stay on the lead lap and even in the 50 lap format went down a lap and would have gone down a lap in the second segment had it gone another 5 laps or so. Ashley did almost manage to drive it into the wall on two or three occasions but got it stopped just inches from the concrete each time , she almost managed to loop it on the last lap of the last race but did gather it up and stagger home in 10th out of 12 with the two junkers behind her. I would give credit to her owner at Racesportz for giving Ashley what looked to be the quickest car in the field as was evident in the second segment with the invert when  she was able to pull Robblee and McGlynn by at least a car length on the straits but it was of little help since she would give away 6 car lengths going through the corner. If somebody really wants to see if this chic can make it in stock cars they would put her in a thunder car for a season somewhere and let her learn , what we have here is another Erin Crocker situation .

I don't know why the race was changed from the 100 lap format but I think it had more to do with the dismall car count then the the wish to see the races over in a timely manner since we were out of there by 10 after 10 . That was my first and last OSS race since what they have is a good line up for a heat race not a 100 or 50 lapper , Let me know when they get another dozen cars or so and maybe I will give it another shot

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6165.msg25859#msg25859
The opinions expressed here are mine and not necessarily those of CRO or its other members , but should be .

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 07:26:26 AM »

Offline duken

• Series Owner
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 12:13:23 PM »
My lady and flipped a coin on whether to attend the supers at Barrie or support a new series which I had high hopes for. Altho as previously mentioned, the car count was a disappointment and the racing was somewhat boring, but, I will give them credit for giving the guys who invested in the former  Cascar sportman series euipment a venue to race without having to spend the money required to run NCTS . For the first time in  a full size stock car  ,Ashley Taws finished both segments wihout a scratch on her car. I respect the fact that she is out there ,not just sitting in the stands like the majority of those who post on this site . Hopefully more entrants will participate as the series grows . OSS has my support and I wish them nothing but the best success moving forward . The best part of the evening, as an owner of two classic Fords ,the  winners  wore blue ovals.  Great runs by the Robblee and McGlynn in both segments.  ;D

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6165.msg25867#msg25867
" It's not the sentiment of men that create history, it's their actions".

Offline DWfan4ever

• Series Owner
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 09:46:45 PM »
I guess you were watching a different race then I pinecrest as I thought the first segment provided some decent racing.  Did you not see the battle between Robblee and Woods for about 15 to 20 laps?  At times they were separated by more than a car length but other times they were really pushing each other.  And if I remember correctly Shawn almost looped himself near the end of the race as he was pushing to get at both Woods and Robblee.  Yes I was a bit surprised with the low car count considering the posting by someone else on the site saying there were 20 plus registered.  But considering the series was just put together  I'd say it was a race that saw more battles then in a couple of the events I watched last year where I saw Shawn blow the field apart.  As for your kind words about Ashley, I'd say she's got more guts then you considering she is at least willing to put an effort out on the track.  Yes she definitely backed off on the entrance to the corner but was definitely competitive on the straights.  I would say you could see immediate improvement in the her racing in the 2nd segment.  I'm guessing there was a pep talk given to her by DJ between segments.  You may have predicted the low level in the car count but if I'm not mistaken you also predicted that she would be many laps down to the field and that didn't happen.  So you're only batting .500.  Keep up the kind words it's really helping you on here.LOL

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6165.msg25891#msg25891

Offline 3way

• Pit Crew
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 11:25:43 PM »
I was at mosport last night and enjoyed the inaugral race especially the first 50. THE DUEL with Roblee was entertaining. as for the car count,I think it will improve and lead to some good racing,don't step on them yet. As for Ashley she just has to get used to the heavier cars. 7 out of 10 for the race. They were probably worried about having to make pit stops for some of the smaller teams.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6165.msg25892#msg25892

Offline racerman

• Rookie Driver
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 01:23:29 AM »
I would like to make some remarks concerning the oss race at mosport.It was a good show even if the car count was 16 cars. It is a new series and needs time to grow.Ron and his father did a great job and should be happy with the first show.I thought ashley did a great job as well as matt robblee.Mosport is not a easy track to get around ,with no experience they did great.As far as pinecrest your a ****** and you need to support this series ,your comments tell how negative you are.Ashley needs some experience and she will do well ,i give here a lot of credit along with everone that made a effort to take part in the first oss race.Dave Connelly thanks for all the hard work,and I look forward to being part of this series.It was great racing and it will get better MIKE HRYNIUK.ps Pinecrest if you have nothing  positive to say then stay home and watch reruns of HAPPYDAYS .loser ......Great job everone  and see ya at cayuge .stay stiff

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6165.msg25897#msg25897
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 08:04:13 AM by Greasemonkey »

Offline Just_A_Fan

• Car Owner
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 01:48:48 AM »
I respect each person's right to have and express their own opinion. Whether or not I agree with them doesn't matter - it's their opinion. However, there is a limit...

Ah yes, it's easy to be critical of a driver - any driver - from the safety of the stands, isn't it Pinecrest? But as others have pointed out, at least they are on the track, trying. As long as they aren't causing accidents and wrecking other race cars, then they deserve respect for their efforts.

Hmm, I wonder how many folks on this board would put up a bit of money to help Pinecrest rent one of MidAmerica's cars. You know, just for the privilege of watching him show us how it's done...

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6165.msg25898#msg25898

Offline Pinecrest

• Series Owner
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 05:11:48 AM »
I would like to make some remarks concerning the oss race at mosport.It was a good show even if the car count was 16 cars. It is a new series and needs time to grow.Ron and his father did a great job and should be happy with the first show.I thought Ashley did a great job as well as matt robblee.Mosport is not a easy track to get around ,with no experience they did great.As far as pinecrest your a asshole and you need to support this series ,your comments tell how negative you are.Ashley needs some experience and she will do well ,i give here a lot of credit along with everone that made a effort to take part in the first oss race.Dave Connelly thanks for all the hard work,and I look forward to being part of this series.It was great racing and it will get better MIKE HRYNIUK.ps Pinecrest if you have nothing  positive to say then stay home and watch reruns of HAPPYDAYS .loser ......Great job everone  and see ya at cayuge .stay stiff

You were either not at the race or you cant count as there was 13 cars and two of those as I have pointed out were junk . The second segment started 12 and when Dave Didero pulled off right after the green fell it really only had 11 .

Why should I support a series that advertises a 100 lapper and when I arrive at the track have gone to some Micky Mouse 50 lap 30 lap format ? Don't blame it on running late as we were out of there at 10.10 and would have still been out of there by 10.30 had the run the advertised show . The racing was boring for the most part and the local LLM race was 3 times the show .

As far as Ashley Taws is concerned she took what looked like the fastest car in the joint and qualified it last and ran it into last in both segments excluding the two junkers I mentioned . The only time she got  close to racing anyone she crashed it into the side of Lethbridge on the final lap of the second segment .
 As I stated she should run a Thunder car somewhere for a couple of years and learn to drive a stock car because right now she is HORRIBLE by anyone who's opinion is objective.  I said she would be lapped and she was and if they had of run a 100 laps she would have been lapped multiple times , lap times don't lie.

I don't know why we are suppose to give Ashley Taws a pass and say she did a good job when she didn't, is it because she is a broad and thats the PC thing to do ?  Sorry but I am into telling like it is and not the PC thing and as it stands right now she couldn't drive a sharp stick into a bucket of mud .

The OSS might be OK if they could double their car count but right now your better off going to your local track for a regular show to see good racing rather then see the handful of cars circling the OSS has.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6165.msg25899#msg25899
The opinions expressed here are mine and not necessarily those of CRO or its other members , but should be .

Offline MID

• Nascar / OSS Team Owner
  • Series Owner
    • http://nil
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 08:36:36 AM »
Good Morning Pinecrest, I hope you had a nice weekend because I didnt.
The OSS rcae was short on cars I agree, but several teams just were not ready in time for the first show so next week should be a better car count. All in all, the racing was clean and I think the fans enjoyed the racing, and that is the most important factor.

You thought I had a bad handling car and yes you were right. We were over worked and busy at the road corse on the NASCAR CTS car and we were really late getting to the oval, thus we missed all of practice, although the Track did let me go out for 5 laps on my own to shake the car down prior to the start of the night, but we had no time to do anything to the car. We off loaded, I put my suit on and told the guys just put some air in the tow tires tires and out I went- scarry stuff if you know what I mean.

After the first 50 we did make several adjustments on the car and it would have been a great car for the second race but on the pace lap the motor started to miss really bad and was only firing on 6 cylinders and that is why I pulled up and waved everyone by and pitted, because there is nothing worse then a guy that knows he has a problem and goes ahead and takes the green anyway causing hayday for everyone behind him.
If the cars broke - park it- is my motto.
I think we had a top 3 car but not with a sick motor.

As for your remarks about the 36 car and Ashley...
The 36 car did a good job with what he had and ran all of the laps without causing anyone any harm, and I think his motor was just fine. The guy needed more laps around a very tricky Mosport to get the bugs out of it and get the car setup which I am sure he will agree to, but all in all- he did a great job.
As for Ashley- I will give her a 10 out of 10 for her performance. She ran all the laps- came off the track without a mark on the car nad really picked it up in the second show.
You have been around racing long enough to know this, and I should not have to point it out, but I will- just to remind you... Ashley came out of open wheel cars that have great brakes, great steering, and tip the scales at 1000lbs.
She jumps in a Stock Car that brakes like your on ice, they steer like a Mack Truck, and they crush the scales at 3000lbs.
Its like jumping out of a fighter jet and climbing into a Army tank- it all takes time to learn and I am sure she will.
Great job Ashley !!

I didnt see you out there racing... if we did... then man would we every have something to talk about on here as I am sure everyone that reads this stuff would have something to say about your driving talents.
In short Bud... If you are going to knock down a fence, make sure you know how to use the tools.

I am sorry if you think the OSS did not put on a good show, although everyone I talked to the next day thought the racing was great and they all look forward to Cayuga next week. I hope you can make it out there to watch and if you do, stop by and introduce yourself to me.
It would be great to put a face to a name of someone who follows and knows so much about racing.
See you next week.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6165.msg25901#msg25901
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 08:55:05 AM by midamerica »

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 09:33:57 AM »

I don't know why we are suppose to give Ashley Taws a pass and say she did a good job when she didn't, is it because she is a broad and thats the PC thing to do ?  Sorry but I am into telling like it is and not the PC thing and as it stands right now she couldn't drive a sharp stick into a bucket of mud .

OK Pinecrest. Please don't say things because she is a broad. This is not a good term and sounds like you are against girls in the sport.

From I heard she did a great job and she has come a long way from her non related race accident.

Man I have stuck up for ya and said he can voice is opinions but why pick on her this way. That is not right and people are not going to side with ya and you are beginning to sound like our good friend Brian and I know you don't want people here to compair you too him.

Please take it easy. I wish more girls would drive the stock cars. Did ya see pinks where the girl cleaned all the guys clocks?? I loved it and was hoping she would beat them all and no it is not the PC thing to do it takes a lot of courage to get into a car when the sport is male dominated and compete with the these guys. Way to go Ashley kick some but out there.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6165.msg25903#msg25903
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

Offline Pinecrest

• Series Owner
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 07:29:46 PM »
 Midamerica I was standing close enough to you after you ran those practice laps when you scaled the car I could have tapped you on the shoulder and I thought about it , but I could see you were way to busy to chit chat about anything .  I do have a question what happened to your car with about two to go in the first segment as I thought you had a tire going flat or had broke something  because  the car looked so loose that it was near undriveable. As far as the #36 goes maybe he is a great guy and maybe he was having serious problems but there is no doubt that he was over a second off the pace and stone slow .

To everyone else that is critical of my assessment of Ashley Taws . First I was dead nuts on about how her debut would go . Second if you are going to run with the guys why should you not be judged like one of the guys ? If her name was Joe Taws most people here would be saying who was that guy that could not hold his line through the corners with the car that seemed to have more motor then anything else on the track . Lets put it this way if Taws was in a competitive Thunder car/ street stock at Barrie Delaware or Flamboro would she be competitive  , I am not saying win but just be competitive ? The answer is not a chance in fact I don't think she is talented enough to run in the top 10 in the Mini Stock class at most tracks . If the OSS is on the level of Thunder cars or Mini Stocks thats how they should bill themselves but I thought it was something above that.  I stand by everything I have said about her she needs to drop down a class or two and learn how to race a stock car. Just because your dad can funnel Walmart and Mattel money into you getting an OSS ride does not mean your ready for one .

Sorry I did not know "Broad" was a dirty word is "Chic" still OK ? As far as a Chic winning on Pinks a show I don't watch 10 seconds in a strait line does not a driver make.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6165.msg25928#msg25928

Offline robblee_motorsports

• Race Fan
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 07:50:51 PM »
Hello all!
I would just like to say thank you to eveybody who came out to support the first OSS race at Mosport. Everyone Ive heard from said that it was a pretty good show, all things conciderd. Well ,accept for one. But Im not naming names here, everone is entitled to their own opinoin, even if it is a little blunt. (ps. thanks for not being too critical of me)
But I will say this, everone who jumps in a car and finishes the race deserves alot of respect...Al Lebert, Billy Innes and Ashley Taws are racers, lets treat them like racers, its racers like these that keep this sport alive...nobody is a "backmarker" or a "junker", we all have bad days and good days. Their days will come. Say what you will, this is simply MY personal opinion. But I look forward to racing with everybody, every week.
See you all at Cayuga!

Matt Robblee
# 27, OSS

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6165.msg25931#msg25931

Offline marcisfan

• Track Owner
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 09:50:35 PM »

Sorry I did not know "Broad" was a dirty word is "Chic" still OK ? As far as a Chic winning on Pinks a show I don't watch 10 seconds in a strait line does not a driver make.

Wow, come on Pinecrest, I know you are an old timer, but you should know that this is 2007.  Is there something wrong with the word "woman" or "female"?  Based upon your reference of her as a "Broad" or a "Chic", I shudder to think what words you would use to reference the following drivers:

Lewis Hamilton
Billy Innes
Juan Pablo Montoya

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6165.msg25940#msg25940

Offline DWfan4ever

• Series Owner
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 10:17:21 PM »
Nice run there Matt, must be tonnes of fun racing against your dad in the series.  I hope that the series does gain many more cars in the series.  I think things are definitely headed in the right direction with the number of quality sponsors jumping on board as quick as they are.    Are all the events going to be split like they were on Saturday?  I will be missing this weekends event at Cayuga due to a prior committment but hopefully I'll get to more of your events.  MidAmerica/Dave you also deserve a "good going" especially after hearing the problems you had with your car and limited time with the car to practice.  In the end all the drivers deserve a big thanks for showing their support for the series and putting on a show for the fans, in whatever format it was agreed to.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6165.msg25945#msg25945

HTML ezBlock

site
stats