Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: Flamboro Opening Nite  (Read 5461 times)

Offline jcrashm2

• Series Owner
Re: Flamboro Opening Nite
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2008, 11:57:31 PM »
Mike the Bulldogs didnt make the playoffs, but being that they are the Canadiens farm team, some people are following them and there were a few in the pits saying they wanted to get home in case there was overtime. And yes i didnt hear any advertising about Flamboro at all. John Casale has told us a number of times that he doesnt believe in the advertising of the internet, of posting results on tv or the paper. he feels that if people want to know they should come to the track. That the drivers should help him by spreading the word and that "we need to work together." So track has upped the back gate to $25 without a membership now, $20 with one. But specials will be $30. with or without the membership. Also I talked to a couple of drivers tonight and they both think now that Glen Hils has quit that the mini class will become rampant with cheaters since Donny Cox never really inspected the cars before. Its "alleged" from what these drivers said after speaking to Glen, that Glen got tired of Donny over ruling him and not sticking to the track rulebook. Not a very good situation for a class that is suppose to be cheap and fun.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7440.msg42626#msg42626
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 03:32:17 PM by jcrashm2 »
Raced Flamboro,Varney,Sauble,Barrie,CNE, Sunset,Ohsweken,Humberstone,Peterboro, Paris,Delaware

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2008, 11:57:31 PM »

Offline mike32

• Series Owner
  • Last of the Time Lords
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 08:54:48 AM »
I've noticed a few more asphalt converts also. Jay Doerr from London (asphalt lm 43)  has a nice DIRT sportsmen car, the Faraways of CVM fame have a dirt sportsman, Derek Lemyre has become a very good 358 mod driver after being a champ in the old challenger class. Brandon Easy has been running dirt sportsmen the last couple years. Travis Cunningham, whose family business has been as an Oscaar engine builder and sponsor for years, looks good in his 358 mod. Mark Dixon, former Varney mod driver, is now in his 5th season (I think) on dirt.
 Perhaps the island mentality shown at Flamboro is hurting them. On dirt, these drivers know that their cars are legal to run at 30 different tracks and likely make resale easier, and travel more enticing

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7440.msg42630#msg42630
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 02:28:12 PM by mike32 »

Offline jcrashm2

• Series Owner
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 10:48:06 AM »
I can tell you I saw a few friends I have known for years that travel from track to track and they always go in the pits and usually bring a few friends...all said that they hardly come to Flamboro anymore, and they use to be pretty regulars. They like going to the dirt because with 3 tracks, racing on 3 different nites, all within an hour or so of each, and alot of drivers racing all 3 tracks, plus they have all lowered their prices to $10 for most nights and food prices cheaper, it makes for better entertainment all round. One said after paying admission for his family and buying some pops and burgers, he can watch 2 nights on dirt for the price of one Flamboro show. And Ohsweken has the "World of Outlaws" big time this year. All their mini stock or street stock drivers and one crew member get in free to race the undercard those 3 nites.
And usually in the Flamboro mini pits there are a few teams that usually show that run both dirt and pavement, I didnt see any of them opening nite.
There was one fellow that runs Ohsweken in a mustang, who showed up with an old rabbit dirt car he bought. Said he wanted to give the pavement a try because his Fridays were getting too busy and he was close to Flamboro, but all the dirt guys were telling him he would hate it.
Well he was running top 5 in the feature with a great finish within reach, but unfortunately something happened and he pulled off into the infield with about 10 to go. He looked pretty happy last I saw of him.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7440.msg42631#msg42631
Raced Flamboro,Varney,Sauble,Barrie,CNE, Sunset,Ohsweken,Humberstone,Peterboro, Paris,Delaware

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 10:48:06 AM »

Offline slapdown

• Series Owner
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 12:07:40 PM »
I've said it before and I guess I'll say it again, Dirt gets it. Lower prices and better racing. I have always been a pavement guy that gets to the dirt a few times a year. Recently the only reason I go to the pavement is to spot at Kawartha, otherwise I'd only hit the big pavement shows like APC300, Autumn Colours, Oktoberfest, some OSCAAR, ACT and the odd LM or LLM invitational. I have recently found myself travelling to Brighton Speedway when I can, usually 6 or 7 shows a year. Haven't been to a bad show yet, in 5 years. Let's compare. Regular admission at Kawartha is $33 for the family while I can take the whole family plus one child's friend to Brighton for $20. The stands are usually fairly full at Brighton to add the the atmosphere. The fans seem very knowledgable about the drivers and cars. Kawartha's do too, but they seem more passionate at Brighton. The races always have some action at Brighton and they rarely have a regular night of racing. Special events or extra laps almost every night. Bus races ( a must see ) 3 times, 5 nights of sprint cars, monster trucks, Hall of Fame night ( I'll talk about that later ), Ontario Dirt Late Models, numerous extra lap and double feature nights and can't forget the Applefest Modified show, another can't miss event. Brighton also has a Kid's club. For a minimal charge their are activities and special promotions every night for the kids at the track. Food seems to be cheaper and lines seem to move alot faster than some tracks. They also have nights to honour the police, fire and ambulance, a salute to the armed forces and promotion's to help the Food Bank ( opening night, this weekend, is $2 admission with a food donation ) and the Cancer Walk. They also have fireworks on the long weekends, the kids like them. They also have a few $5 admission nights. Every night also has a sponsor showing they have gotten local business on board. I'm not trying to bash Kawartha but rather open it's eyes as to what the Dirt tracks are doing. All of them seem to have good car counts, better crowds and lower admission. And slowel, I'll convert you yet. See you at the SOS Sprint opener at Brighton on the 10th.  ;D

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7440.msg42632#msg42632

username

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 02:22:42 PM »
John Casale has told us a number of times that he doesnt believe in the advertising of the internet, of posting results on tv or the paper. he feels that if people want to know they should come to the track. That the drivers should help him by spreading the word and that ?we need to work together."

If that's the case it's sad for everyone involved and he is holding himself and the track back.
I'm sure sponsors of the cars and the track would appreciate a little more advertising than word of mouth...

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7440.msg42633#msg42633

SpencerLewis

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2008, 05:44:45 PM »
I agree that the value of the dirt tracks is very impressive. I went up to humberstone last night and boy were my girlfriend and I impressed

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7440.msg42634#msg42634

Offline jcrashm2

• Series Owner
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2008, 12:04:10 AM »
Glen Hils the mini stock techman post on the unofficial Flamboro chat site that he will be returning Saturday. "The track must follow the rules"
"I still DO NOT agree with what happened on Saturday." "Time to move forward."

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=7440.msg42661#msg42661

HTML ezBlock

site
stats