Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: Sunset Speedway With out fun for fun class  (Read 20120 times)

jarracing

Sunset Speedway With out fun for fun class
« on: October 04, 2006, 11:29:03 PM »
I was just informed of this site and from which i can see it looks amazing.

I would like to comment on the 4 fun class at Sunset Speedway , First of all i think its a great way for people to race a car that is actually affordable. Even though most are rookies they do put on a good show , these cars start a field of approx. 30 cars in the feature , a track promoters dream . My hats off to you Glen !!!! Too bad for those who get suspended each and every night when there rubbing fenders !!!!! Rubbing is racing its in the big leagues we watch it on TV , these people are professionals , we are supposed to learn from them .....anyway for most  that have never owned or raced a car before THEY should not be a participant at the track where they make decisions  THAT EFFECT THE PEOPLE THAT PUT ON THE SHOW without knowing what exactly happened. My point being there would not be a hockey game without a referee . That referee would not be allowed to do his job without some form of training. The starter at Sunset needs some training that will help him get it right the first time. I have never in my life seen so many racers getting black flagged its ridiculous. Maybe he should use the black flag to start the race and  then everyone can go home . Seems to me that when anytime you can watch 30 plus cars start a feature the fans are in for a REAL RACING TREAT. Way to go 4 fun drivers you all deserved better , you guys deserve a raise , maybe if your car goes with no scratches you get a 50.oo dollar bonus for being the most boring race car driver of the night .

On a last note of this i was told that rubbing is not racing at Sunset for the 4 fun class probably because its just for fun .......  hmmmm fun !!!!!!! Okay a guy or a lady have worked on there car all week , its now Saturday RACE DAY have to wash car , get car onto the trailer , get fuel for the car , load the truck with any parts and oh yes stop by the bank you need entrance money and oh yes money for food and drinks .... basically Saturday is a write off for doing most chores around the house and now the time has come to head off to the track for some fun !!!!!!!!! This is where the fun begins , you pull up to the pit gate sign your life away and pay your money , i figure 60.00 dollars on average after all you have some pit crew members or a boy/girlfriend , husband/wife I'm sure you get my drift , you go out for some practice have your heats and everything is going awesome , now you are in the 30 car field feature and whats this your being black flagged for rough driving but wait a minute i didn't do anything , the starter responds with too bad i have 3 other officials that saw you do it...... there is no damage to my car not even a scratch , the starter replies too bad PARK IT YOUR DONE FOR THE NIGHT ....... IS THIS WHAT YOU CALL FUN ....... no points , no pay out ....oops yeah pay out of your pocket.

Is there anyone out there that agrees with me on where is the fun in the 4 fun class ????????

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5547.msg20553#msg20553

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« on: October 04, 2006, 11:29:03 PM »

SpencerLewis

RE: Sunset Speedway With out fun for fun class
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 12:10:38 AM »
you understand theres no contact allowed because the cars dont have full cages right?.....i mean....does this compute? during that entire run-on sentence did you stop and think WHY there would be no contact allowed?

You're putting 30+ rookie drivers on a track, with a rollover post and a seat back bar and you want to let them run into each other? The road runner division is there for a reason, if you want to be allowed to scrub more, drop a standard tranny and a cage in her and away you go. I wouldn't wanna take away from your busy job as an armchair starter by asking you to take a step back and THINK about what you're saying....but perhaps you should give it a try.

AND BTW, jar....err...ted....i like you man, you're a nice guy, but if you're defending who I think you're defending, you know and I know that he and his car were on another level, he was way faster and had way more experience than anyone else out there, I wish him the best of luck in road runner but it became increasingly obvious with each passing week that four fun wasnt the class for him

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5547.msg20558#msg20558

SpencerLewis

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 12:23:31 AM »
and....which one of the starters do you think has zero experience racing a stock car?

cause i dont think you can find a person involved at the track with the exceptions of corner three craig, brian watt and mark the photographer that hasnt been behind the wheel of a stock car

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5547.msg20559#msg20559

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 12:23:31 AM »

Offline Doherty

• Series Owner
    • http://racechaser.cjb.net
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 12:35:26 AM »
Well since Ive been able to race clean and not get black flagged as well as.....but on Sunday they were letting it go and as it was brought up in the other post.....the incident that resulted in getting 2 cars parked for the night....but they were being pretty easy with the flagging on Sunday. 4 drivers black flagged....1 was rough driving the other were completely moronic driver misconducts. Like I'll be honest....I've complained about the flagging in the past, but you gotta live with it.....if not go else where the grass is usually greener isn't it. So no matter what happens or where you go theres gonna be iffy calls...thats the life of racing always has always will.(Unless every local short track gets video replay). Just remember its an enrty level division maybe we can get lucky and stop drivers from comming down thats issue number one...serious racers.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5547.msg20560#msg20560
"The Rain Man" Brendan Doherty

Offline SSWebguy

• Track Owner
  • EX-Webguy :)
Re: RE: Sunset Speedway With out fun for fun class
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 03:41:24 PM »
Quote from: "SpencerLewis"
...cause i dont think you can find a person involved at the track with the exceptions of corner three craig, brian watt and mark the photographer that hasnt been behind the wheel of a stock car

Just for the record, I have been behind the wheel of a few different types of race cars - I believe Craig has too, and Brian's been around racing for many years if he hasn't driven one.  Rob and Ari for sure - they have both raced competitively.  Either way all the track staff understands racing quite well so don't question that one Ted/Kyle.

But as Spencer says this division is supposed to be a starter class so people can get their feet wet for cheap and have some fun.  There is no contact allowed (it's right in the rules folks).  If you didn't like that part, you shoulda not signed up to that class because it obviously isn't for you.

This should be looked at another way Ted/Kyle (whichever you are) - would it be a lot of fun to you if you have never won a race ever, you are in the lead and looking good, and here comes that car who is 2 seconds faster than anyone else out there and he blows by you like you're standing still?  I can name several drivers who had to experience that - now that wouldn't be much fun (other than if you are that 2-second-faster guy, hell it sure is fun for him).

Also you mention all the work involved in loading up and hauling out on Saturday morning.  Here's a different perspective.  What would you rather do:  

- No contact: Park the thing on Saturday night and forget about it for 6 days.  Maybe polish it, maybe hug it, fill your boots.
- Full contact: Spend 5 of the 6 nights off up until midnight, beat and bang all the dents out, replace the cut tires from the side-hits, replace the rad and hood from the brake check, replace the windshield and motor from the roll over (a brake check too), etc etc.  

Dunno - the first one sounds like way more fun to me.

Mark

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5547.msg20567#msg20567

Offline jibbyjebidiah

• Series Owner
RE: Re: RE: Sunset Speedway With out fun for fun class
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 03:48:57 PM »

Offline marcisfan

• Track Owner
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 04:20:47 PM »
Quote from: "SSWebguy"
...cause i dont think you can find a person involved at the track with the exceptions of corner three craig, brian watt and mark the photographer that hasnt been behind the wheel of a stock car

Just for the record, I have been behind the wheel of a few different types of race cars - I believe Craig has too, and Brian's been around racing for many years if he hasn't driven one.  Rob and Ari for sure - they have both raced competitively.  Either way all the track staff understands racing quite well so don't question that one Ted/Kyle.

But as Spencer says this division is supposed to be a starter class so people can get their feet wet for cheap and have some fun.  There is no contact allowed (it's right in the rules folks).  If you didn't like that part, you shoulda not signed up to that class because it obviously isn't for you.

This should be looked at another way Ted/Kyle (whichever you are) - would it be a lot of fun to you if you have never won a race ever, you are in the lead and looking good, and here comes that car who is 2 seconds faster than anyone else out there and he blows by you like you're standing still?  I can name several drivers who had to experience that - now that wouldn't be much fun (other than if you are that 2-second-faster guy, hell it sure is fun for him).

Also you mention all the work involved in loading up and hauling out on Saturday morning.  Here's a different perspective.  What would you rather do:  

- No contact: Park the thing on Saturday night and forget about it for 6 days.  Maybe polish it, maybe hug it, fill your boots.
- Full contact: Spend 5 of the 6 nights off up until midnight, beat and bang all the dents out, replace the cut tires from the side-hits, replace the rad and hood from the brake check, replace the windshield and motor from the roll over (a brake check too), etc etc.  

Mark

WE HAVE A WINNER!

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5547.msg20571#msg20571

SpencerLewis

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 05:06:38 PM »
Quote from: "SSWebguy"

Mark

my mistake

and go****n mark....just.....wow.....that was......wow

thumbs up

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5547.msg20573#msg20573

jarracing

You have to know how to lose before you can WIN !!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 08:47:15 PM »
....okay now that i seem to have your attention perhaps i can fine tune what I'm trying to say. Ill try not to gibber here but if i do I'm sure you will all let me know ..... okay

I have some issues i need of my chest , i have pretty much heard from everyone that my son should not be in this class and you are all probably correct , but what bothers me is that my son has less seat time then the #9 driver and the other car that shall remain nameless . My son started in the 4 cyl division 2 years ago where he had a total of about 5 races and then his engine let go. Last year was about the same he decided to run the 4 fun class because that fit his racing budget. He ran a total of 3 races before the tranny left him in the pits for the rest of the season. This year as you can see he had appeared 9 times and really if not for the black flags he would have slipped into the top ten , that's quite an accomplishment and I'm proud of him either way as i am for some of the other drivers that run in this class as well. You see why is everyone saying that about my son , # 9 had a great season in the road runner class the year before and the year before that , but yet it goes unnoticed to everyone ,  if my son was not there to win some features just think of how many this man would of won ) i repeat where is the FUN. Now as far as the other nameless character goes he was a track champion the year before . He won just as many features , his problem was that he did not act like a champion too bad for him cause he could of repeated his title.

All 3 of these guys were friends a few years ago but what ever happened , happened!!!!!! That's there business however it did cause for some problems with my son  meaning that the other 2 were related and we all no family stick together . ( or at least some families ) . Can you only imagine if my son had started the season at the same time as the other 2 . Drop me a line and tell me what you think might have happened if this was the case.

On a final note on this past invitational being the last night what in the hell is some rookie after he crosses the finish line 6 car lengths behind the # 91 car still racing around the track trying to catch up and sit on his bumper ( what was this going to prove , was he showing off or asking for trouble ) guess what he got trouble !!!!! Why was he so close on a yellow  , what was he going to do ? All i can tell you is that my son stomped on his brakes and stopped , after all the race was over and really if there was no intent for driving up ones ass he could have stomped on his brake as well. This guy was being an instigator and had he not been there there would have been no hood crumpling. So can anyone answer me as to what this rookie was up to and why ? And really is he a rookie the way he trafficked up #91 bumper. Why should an everyday driver be parked for the night when  a newcomer arrives with driver  attitude , really the starter had a chance to make it right by trying to find out what was going on between these guys and then could have made a decision from there . Just because it was the last night , my son had some possible sponsors watching and the only answer they gave him was they do not want to spend there money at Sunset Speedway . This did more the hurt as i do like the track and all you guys that get paid for making decisions that effect those fellow racers.

If this class is to be fun take away the points and actually set up lineups for the year with each and every car that races there 4 fun. Racing will always be rubbin its the heavy damages that are not fun , and unnecessary black flags !!!!!!

And by the way Mark your comment on fun i,m not talking demolition derby here , there is always something to do on a race car to keep it safe.

Chow for now all

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5547.msg20581#msg20581

SpencerLewis

RE: You have to know how to lose before you can WIN !!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 09:46:06 PM »
it was Rob Gibson in the 9 car, Rob ran the entire four fun season less about 4 weeks in 2004, and raced much of the 2005 in the road runner class

just so you know it wasnt a rookie

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5547.msg20583#msg20583

Offline Hardcore Racing

• Series Owner
    • http://www.sprintprinting.on.ca/jtracing
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 11:52:27 PM »
Although difficult to read Jarracing does make some good comments. I understand what you are saying although I get the feeling you have a agenda or situation that applies solely to you based on this past year of racing.

I raced in the 2004 season (along with 2nd place Rob Gibson) taking the championship in my first year of racing. I was green and it was a learning experience. That year we did have some "rubbin is racing" going on but our car count was so much lower (there has been up to 50 cars in the feature this year). The cars were not set up like they are now and I think it was a learning experience for the track too.

The cars now are so much more set up. I have read the rules and know them very well but OMG if you take a look at a few of the cars you can see this is no longer a rookie class. Some cars have more camber than 4 cylinders (stock?), these rookies know how to chip or swap a computer, for a cheap class I am surprised at how some guys have rebuilt/overbored motors and on and on.

I placed my son in this class at the age of 14 last year. He ran last year scratch and kept his nose clean. This year he gathered more courage/experience and when his car was up and running ran with the rest of the pack otherwise the car sat in the pits or putted at the back of the pack. This was a great way for him to get his feet wet and the no contact thing was a great safety net. We are actually thinking of moving my son up to 4 cylinder next year because we feel that it would be safer even with the Four Fun's having a no contact rule.  

The comment was made that if this division is for fun then do away with the points I couldn't agree more. This sounds like a viable solution. Simply issue trophies to the top 10 each week along with cash payout and  maybe some coupons to a local sponsors restaurant or maybe local parts store. Nothing drives you more nuts that following the points race.

As far as rookies go perhaps having a rule not allowing anybody to drop down from any class and any past champion has to move up. The fact is though that this is not our call. This is Glenn's track and it is layed out before us. If you like the class and want to race then do so otherwise move up. If you think you have something to add that would help bring it up to Glenn or at the annual meeting. This is like joining up for a non contact hockey league, still fun but without the risk of injury.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5547.msg20588#msg20588
Harold - JT Racing - #42 four cylinder
2004 Sunset Speedway Track Champion

Offline jibbyjebidiah

• Series Owner
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 12:27:15 AM »

Offline SSWebguy

• Track Owner
  • EX-Webguy :)
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2006, 08:39:30 AM »
Harold brings up some excellent points, and I hope Glenn adopts some of them next year.  No points is a fantastic idea, but my guess is the opinion will be split on that one.  Again, it is supposed to be "Four Fun" so not counting points would definitely take the pressure off, but there still are the "serious racers" who want to hoist the big one at the banquet.  And yes, the cars are way more set-up than they were in the first year or two - it is unfortunate that it happens that way with new divisions.  The idea of the Four Fun class was to be able to toss together a car in the garage and go racing (just like what you did), and that has not been the case this year.  Someone like Ashley Romano has done her best and never had a chance to get a win again this year because of the over-prepared cars.  She probably coulda gone toe to toe in the 2004 season and probably would have had more fun.  And that "champ moves up" idea is great too.  *thumbsup*

Ted, you keep saying "rubbin is racin".  Personally, the best races I've seen this year are when talent and handling win the race, not bump-and-run.  Examples: Rob Poole hooks up on the outside line and races side by side to take a position, or Paul Maltese can make that super sweet move low on a guy going in then out of the corner to take a position.  Now THAT is great racing, not slamming a guy in the bumper or body slamming another guy to get him out of shape to get the position - that's just talentless and frankly lazy.  There's also a matter of RESPECT for your fellow drivers, considering your unprovoked comments to me in the infield I know where you stand on that subject.

In the end, a good portion of the extra-fast cars were illegal anyway (read the rules - multi port Hondas are not allowed).  Mark my words, there will be a big crackdown next year so choose your new ride carefully!

Mark

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5547.msg20599#msg20599

SpencerLewis

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2006, 01:37:11 PM »
take a page out of the old exhibition hobby car racing book, and force the top 10 to move up....

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5547.msg20609#msg20609

jarracing

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2006, 02:13:43 PM »
Mark do you really know what rubbing is ? I'm for sure not talking about knocking fenders , spinning other cars , I'm talking about general racing  , sometimes cars slide into one another for whatever reason , should this be a blag flag where it effected no one. Why should a driver be black flagged for someone elses mistake ? I watched and watched and shook my head not at only my son but the others that were also effected by it , its not right when there are  so many reasons that cause them . Negligence should always be dealt with ,

And thanks on the no point system that was my idea !!!!!!!!!

I will also remind you that I would not be happy with my kid if he was slamming his way to the front . He also earned everyone of his features , he was pretty much the only driver to go 4 wide to get thru the traffic . Races are won in the corners not the front and back shoots.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5547.msg20611#msg20611

HTML ezBlock

site
stats