Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: delaware banquet  (Read 14842 times)

Offline Mobil1fan

• Series Owner
Re: delaware banquet
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2007, 02:33:00 PM »
What's the diff if there's 28 cars or 16?
Two things.
1) Having a higher car count means your back gate income is higher, and guarantees a higher number of "regulars" in the stands each week from those associated with the teams.
2) Having a higher car count increases the odds of fans seeing a better race, as well as adds fuel for promotion. Regardless of how well the race is, car count is a sign of growth that even casual fans understand.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6674.msg36264#msg36264

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2007, 02:33:00 PM »

Offline Shadowracer

• Global Moderator
  • Series Owner
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2007, 05:03:27 PM »
What's the diff if there's 28 cars or 16?
Two things.
1) Having a higher car count means your back gate income is higher, and guarantees a higher number of "regulars" in the stands each week from those associated with the teams.
2) Having a higher car count increases the odds of fans seeing a better race, as well as adds fuel for promotion. Regardless of how well the race is, car count is a sign of growth that even casual fans understand.

I'll give you number 1, but still disagree on point 2. Maybe if only 6 or 8 cars were competing, then yeah, it would make a difference. But I'd arbitrarily set the bar at 14 or so for a healthy division capable of putting on a good show. Anything else is gravy.

The only people pining for a 28 car field are the older fans that remember when that was the norm. What we have right now is actually pretty normal, when you consider that our one track has its membership spread out over 4 divisions...5 if you count enduro. (with a good dozen or so of them that actually belong in SS)  Remember that in the "good old days" there were only 2 divisions to spread em out over. Plus there was no such thing as micro sprints to further thin the herd.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6674.msg36271#msg36271
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 05:06:48 PM by Shadowracer »
CHECK OUT THE "SHADOW REPORT" GROUP ON FACEBOOK FOR LIVE RACE PICS AND UPDATES

Offline Mobil1fan

• Series Owner
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2007, 06:40:57 PM »
Higher car counts seem to have a snowball effect on bringing more teams and more fans (casual and dedicated alike) into the track.  It's one of the reasons guys like competing at Flamboro, or for the success of some of the larger special events. Higher car counts also cater to the die-hard, regular fans (ie. your base) and keep them coming to your speedway. Don't get me wrong, when you've got around 200 drivers/teams racing at your facility over the course of the year, it's a damn good thing, but it doesn't necessarily represent division health as a whole, especially when your most visible division, and the one the most closely relates with the casual fan to NASCAR, has the second-lowest average count. 14 cars per division would work alright at places like Peterborough, Varney and Sauble, but you need more at a place like Delaware to make it look good.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6674.msg36272#msg36272

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2007, 06:40:57 PM »

Offline racerfan44

• Series Owner
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2007, 03:25:47 PM »
Re 57 Shadowracer I was there for most of the races this year and where I got the average car count was from the Delaware site results added up all the total cars from each feature and divided by # of races each team raced.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6674.msg36287#msg36287

Offline hossman71

• Race Fan
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2007, 10:05:13 AM »
I have read all the statements from fans to racers - some want more cars - some want the race track fixed and repaved.  Some like the weekly shows and some people want special shows.  You can get the big shows in for Delaware.  It has in the past and how it was done was with sponsorship.  You can bring the big shows but you need big sponsorship to help pay the purse.  I remember the Great Canadian Weekends had everything sponsored.  The 100 lappers on Thursday or Friday.  The Saturday show had a different sponsor and of course the Big show.  Canusa sponsors the APC 300 race which is great but there has to be more sponsors to make it for a truly big race weekend. Remember that there was sponsor tents all in turn 4 behind the crowd. That help the race track make money so Delaware can bring in the big show.  The more money the track makes the more improvements it can make.  I think that would be job 1 if and before you bring or talk about a really big show at Delaware.
The weekly show is very good but some race fans get bored of seeing the same cars and racers each week. So they pick and choose when they come out to watch.  If you put in some big shows then the race fans don't get bored and the track keeps the fans.
So in the end if Delaware would like to grow again I think they need to work on getting big sponsors to the table to show if the track.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6674.msg36299#msg36299

Offline jcrashm2

• Series Owner
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2007, 01:50:23 PM »
I only got to Delaware 4 times last year and the racing I saw as great. Your track management should be congratulated for giving out the free season passes to the top 5, never heard of any other track doing that. Does the track have preffered seating there? I always get there just intime and sit on corner 1. The only thing I hate about Delware is the drive from Hamilton. That 403 by pass and then down the 401 has too be the most boring drive of any track I go too.lol.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6674.msg36300#msg36300
Raced Flamboro,Varney,Sauble,Barrie,CNE, Sunset,Ohsweken,Humberstone,Peterboro, Paris,Delaware

Offline FromTheStands

• No Soup for You
  • Contributing Members
  • Series Owner
  • Wanna be Grand Poohba
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2007, 05:40:01 PM »
The only thing I hate about Delware is the drive from Hamilton. That 403 by pass and then down the 401 has too be the most boring drive of any track I go too.lol.

Make no mistake about it jcrashm2, we appreciate you making the trips to Delaware. We are working on Brantford separating along with Quebec. That should make you drive a little bit shorter. ;D

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6674.msg36307#msg36307

Offline Just_A_Fan

• Car Owner
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2007, 07:09:14 PM »
From the 2007 Delaware rule book (General regulations):

15. Two (2) banquet tickets will be provided at no charge for each driver who achieves 80% attendance and finishes in the top 20 in the point standings.

From the 2008 Delaware rule book (General regulations):

15. Two (2) banquet/awards tickets will be made available (cost announced before banquet) for each driver who achieves 80% attendance and finishes in the top 20 in the point standings.

The rules were posted on the website on November 22, 2007, and it states "All rules are tentative and will be open to consultation for 14 days.  After 14 days the rulebooks will be considered final."

If people don't want next year's banquet to be even smaller than this year's, they should contact the office soon...

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6674.msg36625#msg36625

Offline racerfan44

• Series Owner
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2007, 09:34:21 PM »
I hope the track(Delaware ) takes a good look at this as it does not look to good to ask for your people that pay good money to race at your facilty to dish out more money to go to the banquet.Sure set a limit as said this (2007)year 2 free tickets for the 80% attendence but to say this year 2008 that by the sounds of it you have to pay.As said if you wondered why the banquet was small this year (2007) the 2008 could be even smaller
P.S. In your rules for this year (2008) it stated that each team at the end of the year has to have a represenative at the banquet to receive their cheques.Are you going to tell me that if for example a couple of the top late Model drivers donot show up and their crew can not make it also because they are away racing in the South are you going to refuse to release their cheques Iwould dought it. I hope the track takes a good look at this subject as it could possibly be a problem down the road.I hope not

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6674.msg36664#msg36664

Offline John

• Series Owner
  • Delaware Speedway PR
    • http://www.delawarespeedway.com
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2007, 10:26:20 PM »
I’ll chime in here, in hopes that I can shed some light and help everyone understand the intended nature of these rule adjustments/clarifications. :)

The wording; “cost announced before banquet” is important and deliberate.  Who is to say the cost won’t be free?  It dependent on what kind of banquet is planned.  For a large extravagant banquet, there could be some kind of cost involved to make the banquet make sense.

The rule is also designed as an assurance to the teams that they will have two tickets available to them regardless of the format.

As indicated at the 2007 Banquet, the format for the 2008 banquet will be based on feedback received from teams.

In your rules for this year (2008) it stated that each team at the end of the year has to have a represenative at the banquet to receive their cheques.Are you going to tell me that if for example a couple of the top late Model drivers donot show up and their crew can not make it also because they are away racing in the South are you going to refuse to release their cheques Iwould dought it. I hope the track takes a good look at this subject as it could possibly be a problem down the road.I hope not

In the case that any team that notifies the speedway that they will not be attending for a particular reason (ie. Racing in the south, family matters etc.) arrangements are made for that person, such as has always been the case in recent times.

I hope this brief explanation is helpful to everyone in understanding the nature of these rule adjustments/clarifications.

-John Houghton
Announcer / PR
Delaware Speedway

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6674.msg36667#msg36667
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 10:28:41 PM by Cascarjr52 »

HTML ezBlock

site
stats