Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: Griddly Headz is back  (Read 5716 times)

Offline NealeRacing

• Car Owner
Griddly Headz is back
« on: March 16, 2007, 05:33:08 PM »

CanadianRacingOnline.com

Griddly Headz is back
« on: March 16, 2007, 05:33:08 PM »

Offline yaya

• Car Owner
Re: Griddly Headz is back
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 06:55:02 PM »
well cmon they stuck it to so many teams it makes us all sick , way to go Inside track i say!

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5922.msg23643#msg23643

Offline Shadowracer

• Global Moderator
  • Series Owner
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 07:05:52 PM »
well cmon they stuck it to so many teams it makes us all sick , way to go Inside track i say!

um...its not the same guys. I thought it was clear enough.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5922.msg23644#msg23644
CHECK OUT THE "SHADOW REPORT" GROUP ON FACEBOOK FOR LIVE RACE PICS AND UPDATES

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 07:05:52 PM »

Offline yaya

• Car Owner
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 07:30:22 PM »
same website , same games sounds like someone is getting around paying up previous debts!,, why buy a company in such dire straits ?  something fishy going on here!

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5922.msg23645#msg23645

Offline racenut

• Series Owner
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 09:23:44 PM »
I noticed a few weeks ago that the website was updated from the 2006 version. I was also told that they were going to try and find an Ontario distributor. I don't know how they're going to make amends for allegedly leaving the scene without paying their bills. The games weren't very good sellers and I didn't see many in any stores.
I wondered if they had succeeded and continued to back Petey Shepperd if Roush would have him racing instead of sitting on the sidelines. Jack doesn't seem to want to back a driver unless he brings sponsor dollars to the table.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5922.msg23646#msg23646

Offline Dster

• Series Owner
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 09:33:55 PM »
It's sometimes unfortunate that some people are apparently so sensitive. This board used to have much thrust and parry (within bounds of reason ie: no swearing), but now it's "naysaying" to some to speak critically of many things. And yes, as an aside, how long people have been around the forum does matter because it provides a frame of reference to the history of the forum, say the intense, months long discussions around the ISA debacle that many more recent members may not have been present for. I'm pretty certain some people here now would have found it off-putting, but that was also probably the most vitally alive period this forum has ever seen in it's eight or so years. I love history, but strong debate is also entertaining regardless of whether you find the comments agreeable or not. That is also a staple of blogs, hence the comments are entirely appropriate considering the history of Headz Gamez, and I think it is rather thin-skinned of anyone to question the journalistic integrity of Inside Track based on that or any other blog entry that's been entered there. The same could be said about that insular sacred cow (to some anyway) Delaware Speedway. However, that's for another thread sometime.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5922.msg23647#msg23647
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 09:36:06 PM by Dster »

Offline Mobil1fan

• Series Owner
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 11:45:43 PM »
I question the way it came across (maybe something more professional, ie. neutral) for a leading motorsports magazine such as Inside Track, but I'm not going to question the message from it...

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5922.msg23652#msg23652

Offline joe_h

• Race Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 12:01:44 AM »
Wow Shadowracer, nice shot at Inside Track! You do know that Greg is the EDITOR, and in pretty much every issue, produces an EDITORIAL comment! And you do know its a BLOG, the kind of thing that people EDITORIALIZE on! Oh, and if you had actually read the blog, you would have seen that Greg was talking about a company that left a 5.7 million dollar debt, screwed over a bunch of people, including race drivers (sponsorship of Pete Sheppard comes to mind), and it was some three hours after it was posted that he updated the entry to indicate that its a "new" company. I'm sure if he had just removed his post, you would have given him crap for that too. 

Greg and Inside Track have done amazing things for racing in Canada. Every year, they support teams and series, and they sponsor events, but most importantly, give teams and tracks EXPOSURE!!

So whats wrong with Greg stating his opinion? You do it all the time on this site. Should everyone stop reading your posts on race events at Delaware, when you have made it very clear that your a Delaware fan, and always hinting you have inside information on the track, so obviously you can't be trusted to provide  "even handed reporting"?!

And to Duster, I say nice post. I was never a big poster on this board, but always appreciated a comment from Duster. He was never the kind to take shots at people, just stated an opinion, and thought things through. He, like I think a lot of the "older regulars" probably only stop by to read, as they just can't be bothered to post.

I'm like that too, since the last post I did on Cascar "disappeared" from the board, with people saying it was Nascar hacking into the message board, and it even started a rumour that Nascar sent out letters to people not to show up at the track, not to mention allowing others to just keep saying the same old thing over and over again about Cascar and Tony.

So why do I bother now....because in this case, I know Greg, and if you ever want an entertaining day at a race, hook up with him sometime (if you can keep up with him, as he's all over the track, getting photos, comments, interview, and writing up the results). He has an amazing memory of the history of racing in Canada, and most people who know him would agree that he does not just do this as a "job", but as a fan of the sport itself.

But what do I know.....?

joe h

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5922.msg23653#msg23653

Offline Shadowracer

• Global Moderator
  • Series Owner
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 12:56:35 AM »
Whatever.

Professional publications should be held to a higher standard of journalism and should expect to be called on it from time to time. They're big boys. I'm sure they can handle a jab from a message board wag like me. (Trust me, I have no illusuiions about what I do here.) So relax. I've probably shot the breeze with Greg too, and I subscribe to the magazine.

As far as the not so subtle jabs at me, I can handle that too.

The only one I don't understand is the bit about me hinting that I have "inside knowledge" of the goings on at Delaware. There's three pages of threads there to pick from...please feel free to point out a spot where I've "hinted" at anything. If I say something's so, its only because I actually called them up and asked them, the same way anyone else here could...provided you had some kind of legitimate criticism. Of course, if you were one of the ones slinging rumor-and-hearsay driven internet BS at them...just because you can, I wouldn't blame them for telling you to take a long walk off a short pier.

Trev

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5922.msg23654#msg23654

Offline NealeRacing

• Car Owner
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 02:34:10 AM »
Wow, this topic sure caused a riot. That is simply a breaking news blog. Anyone who gets inside track will surely notice in the next issue a whole article written on this subject that won't be referenced to a puddle of vomit.

As for the question about why buy a company in dire circumstances...well why not? What makes more sense to you as a creditor. Rebuild a viable company with a future of profitability and gety your money back, or settle for pennies on the dollar from bankruptcy.

Inside track has always covered issue in their MAGAZINE with great journalism. I do not judge them on a breaking news blog.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5922.msg23658#msg23658

Offline Shadowracer

• Global Moderator
  • Series Owner
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 02:45:49 AM »
Wow, this topic sure caused a riot.

Heh...not really. Back in January I gave some members of the "old boys club" some flak for posting callous BS on the Delaware board. Now I'm on the CASCAR board and getting shouted down. Tit for tat...and the message board cliquey-band plays on. :D   

I do hope that the newly formed Griddly Headz can make some amends for the mistakes of the past owners. If it IS the same guys hiding behind a new corp then the vomit is probably justified. But I haven't heard yet one way or the other.

Trev

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5922.msg23659#msg23659
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 03:01:30 AM by Shadowracer »

Offline joe_h

• Race Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2007, 10:34:02 AM »
Shadowracer, I took one "jab" at you, at that was at your own "jab" at Inside Track and Greg. As for the hinting at inside info, I was simply referring to the fact that anything related to Delaware always had a response from you, for example, people talking about the condition of the track, and you stating that "Well, I can tell you with certainty that there's lots of upgrades in the offing." Tell me if that doesn't sound like your speaking from inside info.

But I do love the not so subtle jab at me. Please, feel free to search the board for my negative comments about Delaware. Tell me where I've slung "BS" at the track. Ask anyone who knows me, I don't have a bad word to say about Delaware. I used to drive 2 hours from Toronto to watch Friday nite races, or the weekend Cascar races, Enduro's, the truck specials, an Alstar race. 

Seems to me I'm only doing what you do. I guess you can say I'm giving a member of the "new boys club" some flak for posting callous BS about someone on the Cascar board, but as you say, whatever!

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5922.msg23664#msg23664

Offline fourbarrelcarb

• Car Owner
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2007, 05:39:06 PM »
as far as i'm concerned Griddly Headz can go suck an egg......talk to whitlock, petey shepard, joel robinson and inside track about the quality of that company.........i don't care if it was taken over by their largest creditor.........they can still go suck an egg.........

p.s. so can powerwater and go racing.ca

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5922.msg23679#msg23679

Offline GREG_M

• Track Owner
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 01:51:25 PM »
Hi guys.

The only thing that bugs me about this thread is that you're not having it on my site!!! Thousands of views and not one comment. Geez. But you write novels here ???
Keep it up and I'll have to find some nice pictures and post them on my blog about the guys who read my site and run off to another to discuss it.... ;)

But getting back to the topic at hand...

I don't see what me posting that picture has to do with "journalistic integrity." There's no rule I know of that says that being "even-handed" precludes harsh commentary, if the situation warrants it. Besides, if Shadowracer is indeed a subscriber, then that says more to me about what he thinks about me and my magazine... and all I would say to him is "thank you." If everyone else had the same 'disdain' for my work, I would be driving a much nicer car.

I do take liberties on the blog that I don't take in the magazine. So, no, I won't be putting a picture of a pile of vomit in Inside Track.
By now, I hope people know what to expect from our different outlets. Besides, Jim Lapcevich says he likes the funny pictures, so we try to have some fun.
Sometimes, you gotta laugh.

In point form, here are some of my thoughts on the issue of the return of Griddly.

- In spite of the similarities, the new company is not the old company. It's my understanding that the new company does not know the whereabouts of Kerry Martens, the individual who headed the old company. There are, however, some individuals working for the new company, who were employed by the old company.

- It's my understanding that the new company's principle owner is the individual who was hurt the most (in terms of dollars lost) by the old company. The bankruptcy papers list that "5908 Holdings Ltd." was burned for $2,644,071.70 as a "secured creditor" and another $1,929.000.00 as an "unsecured creditor. " Ouch. Let me be clear: What was done in the past was not the new owner's doing and I can't fault the new group for trying to recoup some of their losses.

- The owner of the new company does not expect to get a penny back from Mr. Martens.

- It's my understanding that the new company will not be paying back any of the debts of the old company, as they did not incur those debts. Therefore, it's safe to assume that no one else is going to get a penny back, either.

- After posting my comment and the picture, we were contacted by a representative for the new company. He was very friendly and didn't threaten anything. He wanted it made clear that the new company had nothing to do with the old company. We never said it did, but I added an UPDATE comment to my original post, further clarifying the distinction.

- I posted the vomit because it turned my stomach to think that Griddly Headz was back in any form. The company associated with the words "Headz Gamez" and "Griddly Headz"  did a lot of harm to a lot of people. And for the new bunch to slough it off with a cartoon character saying she had cleaned house, doesn't go far enough (IMO) in recognizing all the damage that was done. They don't have the right to be cute about this, IMO. And all those comments about their high morals and integrity - while at the same time implying a degree of continuity with the old company (e.g. photos from last summer's CASCAR races) - rubbed me the wrong way.

- I don't know this, but it's my hunch that the new company is using a name and branding that are similar to the old company in order to continue to use the NASCAR license. If so, it is unfortunate that this is necessary, given that the old company created so much bad will. I would compare what they're trying to do to starting a new energy company and calling it ENRON... or a gold exploration company and calling it BRE-X. I wouldn't want to start a company with that kind of baggage.

As mentioned earlier by someone else, Pete Shepherd isn't in a Roush Fenway Truck right now because of Griddly Headz / Martens. Period. Promises were made and broken regarding Shepherd's sponsorship for 2007. I feel especially bad about this because I put Roush in touch with Martens in the first place.

And then there are the people of Parrsboro, NS. It's disgusting what was done to them.
I don't want to speak on behalf of anyone else mentioned in this thread, as they can do so for themselves if they wish.

The bottom line, to me, is that the new owners might be able to have it 'both ways' legally, but they can't have it both ways when it comes to my stomach.

Sure, they can imply continuity in terms of the company's name and grandma sweeping out the locker room of the Martens brothers in a cutsie way. And they don't have to pay off the debts incurred by the old company. Fine.

But they do have to put up with my stomach turning when they call their company Griddly Headz Games and try to come off lilly-white like Mother Teresa. The old company, which has a very similar name to the new company, hurt a lot of people.

As I mentioned, the representative of the new company said we could conduct a proper interview within weeks and I hope that is the case. If that happens, I pledge to be "even-handed." And if I can put aside my "journalistic integrity" for a moment, I honestly hope they're successful in what they're trying to do. Canadian racing needs all the supporters it can get. It's just going to take a long time before I can get Kerry Martens' picture out of my mind when I think of Griddly Headz.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5922.msg23696#msg23696
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 01:57:10 PM by GREG_M »

Offline NealeRacing

• Car Owner
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007, 05:50:14 PM »
I went to post a comment one time for something but when i realized I had to sign up I said forget it, too lazy lol.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=5922.msg23698#msg23698

HTML ezBlock

site
stats