Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: Is 10 Years Old Too Young To Race A Full Size Car With Adults?  (Read 23968 times)

Offline K-man

• Team Owner
Re: Is 10 Years Old Too Young To Race A Full Size Car With Adults?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 08:35:09 AM »
Maybe the Minister of Transportation should rethink the age limit for someone to get a driver's license. If it's safe enough for a youngster to drive on a race track, it must be safe enough to drive on a public road.

Maybe the school board should rethink teaching auto shop to anyone under 16 since they aren't mature enough to drive a car. We wouldn't want a kid losing an arm in a fan belt. With their smaller size they might get completely sucked in.

Edit: I need to put in a disclaimer to a small number of people who have a one track mind. My opinions expressed on this topic have absolutely nothing to do with any of my family members.

I'm not quite sure how you jumped from driving on a race track to an Auto Shop in school but I hope you don't want to eliminate writing skills because some kid might stick a pencil in their eye.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=18881.msg110394#msg110394
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 08:39:23 AM by K-man »

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 08:35:09 AM »

Offline latemodel28

• Car Owner
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 10:38:25 AM »
It is my opinion that this is the wrong move for the kid. I think he should stay behind the wheel of a kart. The reason for this is I believe racing a kart will help him learn more consistency and smoothness while racing. one thing karting helps with is learning how to maintain momentum and running a mini stock will not help hone his skills IMO.

This kid should be racing karts on a road coarse as this will help in the future as well by being a well rounded driver, that is if the parents want him to make it to the big leagues. I am in no way knocking the mini stock class as a lot of viable and necessary skills can be learned there, I just don't think its the right route for his age.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=18881.msg110396#msg110396

Offline Steviebird31

• Pit Crew
    • York National Realty Inc. Brokerage
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 11:01:53 AM »
10 years old is far to Young to race with Adults!!!!

What are you guys all Nuts!

I am a new racer to Sunset this year in Mini Stock, I my 48 years old and have raced all my life and started at ten racing go Karts.
I am last years Ontario MASTERS Champion in DD2 125cc Rotax shifter go Kart ,and even in go karts this would never be aloud.
The kid might have all the talent in the world but still has a brain of a ten year old and this is not a VIDEO Game.
In Go Karting we have age limits per classes,
Mico Max ages 7 to 10 years old 60cc Rotax engines.
Mini Max ages 11 to 13 years old 100 cc Rotax engines.
Joinor 13 to 16 years old 125cc Rotax.
Senior 16 to 32 Years old 125cc Rotax.
Masters 32 and up 125cc Rotax
This will be a nightmare, I agree with the last post the parents will be just like hockey parents( you bumped my kid, you turned in on my kid ) >:( >:(.
And just wait till the kid wrecks somebody, its not his car, he didn't have to pay for it.

I am sorry but if you don't hold a valid drivers licence you should not be aloud to race stock cars, or get paid racing them.
I hope a wake up soon from this nightmare.
Steviebird Car # 94

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=18881.msg110397#msg110397
You can only score on the shots you take!

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 11:01:53 AM »

Offline cardriver

• Car Owner
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 12:01:43 PM »
I hope you don't want to eliminate writing skills because some kid might stick a pencil in their eye.

Not me. But I think the others will make that point.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=18881.msg110398#msg110398

Offline cardriver

• Car Owner
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 12:15:38 PM »
In Go Karting we have age limits per classes,

Interesting. I wonder how that works?

Joinor 13 to 16 years old 125cc Rotax.
Senior 16 to 32 Years old 125cc Rotax.
Masters 32 and up 125cc Rotax

I see your point now that you really have to separate based on age. A new to the sport 13 year old is limited to a 125cc Rotax so they can work their way up to a 125cc Rotax.  ;)

You've proved my point. In your go-carting you can take a 13 year old who has never raced or driven even a riding lawnmower in their life and put them in the same equipment as an adult.

Correct me if I am wrong here. But carts are weighted driver out. So the 90lbs 13 year old has an advantage over 200 lbs 25 year old.

I think they may have missed you on the Sunset standing there bud. But since you are just in your second year without even a full season behind you I'd be careful what you are saying. Treyton will start out near the rear competitively near the lead pack and within a few weeks will be running with the front pack. Nothing personal but I would have my money on him over you in the points.   

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=18881.msg110399#msg110399

Offline Steviebird31

• Pit Crew
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 12:56:05 PM »
No Cardriver you are wrong, kart and driver are weighted together to make it even playing field.
After every heat race and final all drivers weigh in with Kart and self and must come to mini weight as per class. so for Masters my class kart and driver can not be less the 396lbs. anything under you are DQ.
This is also in place for the safety of the kids and promote driver ability, not the family with the most money wins!!!!
In my option Jeff's son should be doing what "Matthew Latifi " is ,this kid is the real deal.

http://canadiankartingnews.com/?s=Matthew+Latifi+

Treyten only raced four stroke Honda motors a third of the speed and g load's of 2 stroke karting.
My kart does 180 km and pulls 3 G's latterally.

This is my first year running Mini stock and yes I will have a big learning curve with the mechanical asspeck. however I have 38 years of racing experience behind me from Moto x, flat track oval motorcycle racing, oval motorcycle Ice racing and 20 years of Kart racing.
Its all about respect out there and if you give respect to your fellow drivers you will Erin respect.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=18881.msg110400#msg110400

Offline cardriver

• Car Owner
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 01:29:50 PM »
Treyten only raced four stroke Honda motors a third of the speed and g load's of 2 stroke karting.
My kart does 180 km and pulls 3 G's latterally.

You will be sadly disappointed in ministock if that is your criteria.

I'm a bit lost here. You don't want to send a kid out in a full caged belted into the seat car that will be lucky to hit 120 km/h but you suggest they go out balancing on a sled on wheels with no protection (cage or belts) at 180 km/h pulling 3 g's?

So you know top running short track LM has less top end speed than the truck that towed it to the track. They are limited by gear making top end kinda irrelevant. Nor is a LM going to be able to hold 3 G's.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=18881.msg110403#msg110403
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 01:36:13 PM by cardriver »

Offline Steviebird31

• Pit Crew
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2014, 02:05:11 PM »
Matthew Latifi is on his way to high level open wheel racing, and is already being scoutted by the Big F1 and Indy teams.
Let the kid be a kid and race with his age group.
This Just sound like Rep Hockey, better get my kid on skates at the age of one and he/she will make the NHL.
Play and practise everyday, all year long, hire power skating coach, must play at AAA level to be seen.
All for not because they "BURN OUT" before the gets to Midget.

If he,s that good theirs no need to rush it, let him continue to have fun with his age group for few more years, till his mental maturity level grows.

Oval racing is not like F1 or hockey with short windows of opportunities.
What age did Mr. Tommy Walters start racing?????

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=18881.msg110404#msg110404

Offline Steviebird31

• Pit Crew
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2014, 02:11:58 PM »
Cardiver, That's why I have decide to go mini stock racing.
Its a lot slower and I get power steering and suspension now. ;D ;D ;D
LOL LOL

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=18881.msg110405#msg110405
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 02:16:26 PM by Steviebird31 »

Offline cardriver

• Car Owner
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2014, 02:27:44 PM »
You seem to be a bit confused about things.

Carts is the way to F1, Indy and other road courses. Oval is the way to oval. Clearly these boys want to go oval racing not open wheel racing. They have completed the Jr leagues and have won now its time to move on to Saturday night in the beginner class which mini stock is.

You seem to want kids to take up carts. You talk about Latifi who started when he was young but when it comes to oval you can just sit back and wait? How young was Walter when he started? He was too old which is why he will never make it higher than a local track Saturday night racer. JR Fitzpatrick has probably aged out by now and he too started as a kid.

Performance in any sport is what tells you if your kid is ready to compete or not. If Treyton can go out in practice and run with the best of them why doesn't he deserve the right to be there? What would you be waiting for? Facial hair is going to make a difference?   

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=18881.msg110406#msg110406

Offline Steviebird31

• Pit Crew
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2014, 04:51:02 PM »
Cardriver I am not confused.
If my old brain can remember correctly NASCAR doesn't just run oval races and I believe CASCAR has one or two road course races as well.
If Treyten did some Karting at a competitive level he would become a much better all around driver, turning left and right and running open wheels would teach him a lot more then running with a bunch of 30 something like me, that are just in it to have some racing fun at a low budget.

This is a video of DD2 Shifter Kart at Mosport Karting Track practise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t5oMXZe6Xc

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=18881.msg110408#msg110408
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 06:09:09 PM by Steviebird31 »

Offline murray

• Series Owner
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2014, 05:56:36 PM »
lets say the first race of the year ..  2  drivers racing side by side for the win.. they catch the rookie coming out of 4..does one driver let off the gas ?? or make contact and he bounces straight into the iinside WALL...

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=18881.msg110409#msg110409

Offline Steviebird31

• Pit Crew
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2014, 06:30:48 PM »

If Treyton can go out in practice and run with the best of them why doesn't he deserve the right to be there?    

Just because you can run at practise passe and everyone is a ware that a ten year old is on the track is one thing.
My Son was the same with Senior Rotax 125, no problem in practise when all the top shoes are running a 8 /10ths of full speed.
First heat race going into corner one he piles right into the back of all other drivers.
Treyton, might be quick and full of talent but has only four years of race experience at his age level.
Not against 30 and 40 olds that have been racing most of there lives and now racing for $$$$$$$$$. Its a big difference when $$$$$ is on the table and not just a shiny little trophy.

Hope smarter heads prevail.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=18881.msg110410#msg110410

Offline cardriver

• Car Owner
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2014, 07:20:48 PM »
Just because you can run at practise passe and everyone is a ware that a ten year old is on the track is one thing.

I understand the Danica syndrome. If he can't perform he should get pulled. But he should get the chance to prove himself step by step.

Don't know what you are doing when you are driving but figuring out what the other driver's age is I am racing with isn't one of them. For all the times I ran with Cayden not once was I thinking about his age. It didn't make a bit of difference.

My Son was the same with Senior Rotax 125, no problem in practise when all the top shoes are running a 8 /10ths of full speed.

That's nice, this is oval not karting. You don't practice at 8/10th your speed that is a waste of time and gas. You don't have to spend your time learning the track when there are just 2 turns and they are both left.

First heat race going into corner one he piles right into the back of all other drivers.

Same applies in your beloved karting. I think its safe to assume if he knows where the brake is in a Midget he knows where the brake is in the mini. You don't win the number of races he has like that. Its he's 10 not that he's retarded.

Treyton, might be quick and full of talent but has only four years of race experience at his age level.

Dude its mini stock not a cup start for the Dayton. Its a beginner class. 90% of people that start in that class start with ZERO racing experience.

Not against 30 and 40 olds that have been racing most of there lives and now racing for $$$$$$$$$. Its a big difference when $$$$$ is on the table and not just a shiny little trophy.

Money? What are you talking about. Its the beginner class at your local Saturday night racetrack. Your payout will be lucky to cover your gas to the track. So yes you will be racing for the shiny little trophy not for a living. Use your head and remember that. Don't dump the 10 year old or any other car on the track its not worth it. Yet another reason why it is appropriate for a 10 year old.

Not trying to be smart here but Treyton will beat a rookie like yourself. I have no problem predicting right now he will easily be ROTY easily in the top 10 likely with at least one feature win and possibly in the top 5 of the points at year end.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=18881.msg110411#msg110411
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 07:26:47 PM by cardriver »

HTML ezBlock

site
stats