Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: MCCREADY AND BICKNELL STEAL WINS WHILE PANUNTE DOMINATES  (Read 2070 times)

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
MCCREADY AND BICKNELL STEAL WINS WHILE PANUNTE DOMINATES
« on: April 25, 2010, 08:11:28 PM »
MCCREADY AND BICKNELL STEAL WINS WHILE PANUNTE DOMINATES IN
BARON ROOFING & SIDING TRIPLE 50’S AT MERRITTVILLE

For Immediate Release - From Jim Irvine

Merrittville Speedway Public Relations

905-892-8266 or jimirvine@cogeco.net

Thorold, Ontario (April 25) – Since the final checkered flag last season – Merrittville Speedway Race Fans and Teams have been waiting for one thing – the start of the 2010 Season. The Baron Roofing & Siding Spring Sizzler surely had to wet everyone’s racing appetite with thrilling racing action throughout each 50 lap event – kicking off the 59th consecutive season of the Thorold showplace.

Dolf McCready and Pete Bicknell both made late race moves payoff to earn their first wins of the season in the Hoosier Stock and L. St. Amand Enterprises 358 Modified Divisions while Greg Panunte dominated in winning the Original Pizza Sportsman 50. All three Lucas Oil Weekly Racing Series Divisions received some $4,000 in added purse courtesy of Baron Roofing’s Terry Keagan.

“Thanks to Terry,” relayed (Merrittville co-owner and racer) Pete Bicknell in Victory Lane, “his generous support goes along way … it gives everyone a little extra money to start the season with.”

The initial event for the Hoosier Stocks in 2010 was the first home track event in the Duel on the Dirt Big 6 Series – a challenge against the Pro Stocks from the Brighton (Ontario) Speedway.

“The first 25 laps … the car was not that good,” revealed Dolf McCready – the first driver to score a feature win in 2010, “same in practice last week … but somehow after that last caution the car came to me … such a big turn around.”

The closing stages of the 50 lap Hoosier Stock event became a see saw battle between Ken Sargent, McCready and third generation driver Brent Begolo. Sargent and McCready were battling side by side with some 5 laps to go until McCready took control along the backstretch of lap 48. Sargent battled back but at the start finish line – McCready took Starter Doug Leonard’s first double checkers … by a car length.

“I’ve raced many years with Dolf,” relayed Sargent post race, “he’s an awesome competitor … I new he was there and it came right down to the end … he got me by a car length … that’s racing.”

Sargent – a former Hoosier Stock and Pro Stock Champion returned to the sport last season to lead Team Merrittville to a fifth straight Duel on the Dirt Title against the Brighton Pro Stocks.

Begolo – who also did not have a good practice session April 17th also commented, “It’s the backup motor from last year … yesterday it was still on the floor – thanks to the crew … they pieced it together and here we are.”

For the first part of the Hoosier Stock 50 – being up front was not the place to be for some.

Brad Sheehan and Kevin Knapp led the field to green and almost right away there was something amiss with Sheehan’s car. The first caution slowed the field after the former kart racer Sheehan lost power.

Knapp took control with Graham MacKay soon to join the front runners in the former Mikey Granton-owned car that Shayne Pierce ran last season. Al Sleight in the Baron Roofing #2 also joined the fray – eventually taking top spot from Knapp.

Ken Sargent followed Sleight into second with about a car length between the three.

Eventually MacKay’s car developed problems and he would retire to the pits. A caution would soon slow the field again and under the yellow – Sleight would also head to the pits with his own problems.

Sargent – the new leader would pull away to a healthy lead until a lap 35 caution found former leader Kevin Knapp the victim of a flat tire.

At the finish – McCready, Sargent and Begolo were followed by former champion Mike Dooley who is returning to driving duties this season. Dooley also led Team Merrittville to a Duel on the Dirt Title back in the day. Vince Fargnoli was fifth.

McCready’s win was worth $550 with the Baron Roofing & Siding cash bonus.

One of the last events of 2009 saw quite a dramatic finish when contact between Chuck Hebing and Mikey Kruchka sent the Merrittville co-announcer skidding along the front-stretch wall in his Sprint Car when the Lucas Oil Empire Super Sprints helped close the season.

Kruchka was the first to greet L. St. Amand Enterprises 358 Modified 50 lap Winner Pete Bicknell. “I was thinking about your crash,” admitted Bicknell, “I made my move and this time it stuck.”

The daring move that put Bicknell’s Lucas Oil #42 between Chad Brachmann’s Mighty Taco #3 and the front stretch wall just feet ahead of the start finish line was a fitting end to a race that had the two racing each other hard throughout the event.

“I wish I could have been a little closer,” said eventual third place finisher Tom Flannigan, “it was a good race to watch though.”

Bicknell – who took the lead from Scott Kerwin along the back stretch of the first lap was into lap traffic by lap 6. A pair of early cautions found Brachmann challenging Bicknell. The lead exchanged hands a number of times before a third caution on lap 14 found invader Gary Tompkins challenging Bicknell for top spot.

As quick as that happened – Brachmann was again in control before the start was called off. Bicknell was back out front once more with the top spot swapping hands several times. Bicknell and Brachmann would pull away from the field to the half way point.

As the two diced through lap traffic – it was Bicknell out front … then Brachmann … then Bicknell until a lap 44 caution eased the torrid battle. 2010 Rookie Shawn Sliter’s Modern Corporation #71s coasted down the front stretch off the pace.

First it was Bicknell out front then Brachmann until a final caution on lap 47 again cooled the two driver’s heels. Shayne Pierce – another rookie this season lost control of his car in turn 1.

“I was surprised when Chad gave me the top,” revealed Bicknell, “I really thought it would go away … so I kept to the bottom.”

Brachmann resumed control on the restart and took to the bottom groove when the cat and mouse battle resumed between the two in the three lap dash to the checkered flag.

Bicknell’s daring move out of turn 4 for the final time found the 20 time Merrittville Champion cross the line a ½ car length ahead of Brachmann.

“I’ve been that close many times here,” added Brachmann – the 2008 Champion, “I should’ve kept my own line … instead of taking Pete’s … I got snookered by that for sure.”

“I needed to adjust better for late in the race,” commented third place finisher Tom Flannigan, “too much gear I think … but thanks to the track … what a wicked track … there was a top  and a bottom … we racers sure appreciate it … I’m sure you fans do too!”

Bicknell, Brachmann and Flannigan were followed by the Baron Roofing #108 of Bill Bleich and sophomore driver Mat Williamson.

Bicknell’s win was worth $2500 with the additions made by Baron Roofing & Siding.

“It’s tough when there are cars everywhere,” remarked Greg Panunte after taking the opening round of the 2010 King of the Crates Sportsman Series powered by Niagara Motors, “you don’t know whether to go high or low?”

Panunte would make it look easy with a dominating performance – lapping up to the 4th place car in the process.

Panunte – who took the lead on the backstretch of lap 20 soon ran away from the field – holding a full straightaway lead through heavy lap traffic.

“Really … I wasn’t supposed to be here this year,” admitted Panunte, “my wife and kids … sponsors and crew – they all convinced me to return … they all make my job so easy.”

Panunte was only slowed once on lap 44 and on the ensuing restart – had some 8 lap cars between himself and runner-up Ryan Susice – ground the former kart racer would not be able to make up by lap 50.

“Sometimes you get lucky,” added Panunte who tied Chad Chevalier last season for top spot in the inaugural King of the Crates Sportsman Series powered by Niagara Motors.

“Greg’s a class act and a great driver,” commented Susice, “we may have had some issues last season … but we are both good …tonight he left us in his dust … great to have him back in the sport.”

“I couldn’t do this without my dad,” relayed third place finisher Brandon Easey, “he’s put some good stuff into the car … with the lap traffic … I sure needed it.”

Nick Cupolo was first to lead the 50 lap Event with Susice and Panunte as the top 3. By lap 10 the trio were into lap traffic with Panunte advancing to second by lap 19. The next lap Panunte was in control and checked out on the field.

Panunte, Susice and Easey were followed by BJ Willard who was runner up last season in the King of the Crate Series and Ken Cosgrove.

Panunte’s win was worth $1600 with the additional cash provided by Baron Roofing & Siding.

For complete results from the Baron Roofing & Siding Spring Sizzler Triple 50’s visit http://www.speednetdirect.com/results.php?track_id=8430http://www.speednetdirect.com/results.php http://www.speednetdirect.com/results.php

Merrittville Speedway Inside Track Motorsport News Pit Notes

Through the three divisions – 87 cars competed in the Baron Roofing Spring Sizzler. Additional pit entries came from the J&S Heating and Air Conditioning Modified Lites and Turn 4 Collision 4 Cylinders who had practice sessions during the night.

Joe Middlemiss guest drove the Brad Rouse back-up Baron Roofing Mr. 18 to a 13th place finish while Rouse settled for 17th. Sunset Speedway owner Mark Dilley took in a night of DIRTcar Racing after participating in the PartSource Welland Open House in the afternoon. Race Time Radio’s Joe Chisholm and staff were also pitside.

Baron Roofing provided Merrittville Race Fans with a special offer of $350 off. For more info – visit www.baronroofing.com or call 905-708-0099.

UPCOMING AT MERRITTVILLE SPEEDWAY

105.1 The River presents the kickoff of the 2010 Championship Chase Saturday May 1st with all 5 Lucas Oil Weekly Racing Series Divisions featured in their first full points of the new season. Niagara IceDogs Fan Appreciation Night is also Registration Night for the Aaron’s Lucky Dog Kids Club.

Gates open at 5:30. Showtime is 7:00.

For further information on the 59th Season – race fans and race teams alike can follow Merrittville on Face Book and Twitter. 

Join us this season on a Saturday Night for a LUCAS OIL WEEKLY RACING SERIES EVENT featuring FIVE Divisions featuring local heroes and up and coming new stars and special events including the inaugural June 17th WoO LMS Extravaganza presented by Brian’s Tire Repair Turn 4 Collision and PineView Drywall and brought to race fans by GIANT FM, TV Cogeco, Modern Corporation, Cotton, Inc, Toolneeds, Auto FX Graphics and Signs and IBEW Local 303 Niagara.

The May 1st deadline to save on WoO LMS Tickets is approaching. To get yours – call 905-892-8266 with either VISA or MasterCard or visit the Speedway Office during business hours or on race day.

Crazy Offer!

Race fans – check your 2010 Ticket Stubs for a Crazy Offer from Little Caesars Pizza – located at 572 Niagara Street in Welland. With the purchase of a HOT-N-READY Pizza and Crazy Bread – receive a Free Crazy Bread!

Sounds Good!

Enjoy all the play by play from the Merrittville Announce Team of Clint Geoffrey, Mikey Kruchka and Fran Buschardt and special guests all season long on our new state of the art Yorkville NX Series Loudspeakers. Race fans and teams can also tune into 89.9 FM to listen to live feeds from our FM Transmitter.

Your Local Dirt Track is where it's at!! Merrittville Speedway "The Best Family Entertainment in Niagara"

Make your plans … call your friends and maybe even get a carpool together and enjoy a staycation at the speedway with plenty of free parking and camping spots – a night at the races is so much fun and so close to home!

Your Local Dirt Track is where it’s at!!! Merrittville Speedway ‘The Best Family Entertainment in Niagara.”

MERRITTVILLE SPEEDWAY SPONSORS

The 2010 Lucas Oil Weekly Racing Series for Merrittville Speedway’s 5 Divisions is brought to race fans and racers by division sponsors – L. St. Amand Enterprises, Original Pizza Logs, J&S Heating and Air Conditioning, Hoosier Tire Canada and Turn 4 Collision in addition to contingency sponsors Bicknell Racing Products, Bilstein Shock Absorbers, Brodix Cylinder Heads, Hoosier Tire, Lucas Oil Products, Inside Track Motorsport News, Intercomp, ISC Racer’s Tape, Jaz Products, Kirkey Racing Fabrication, Motorsports Safety Systems, Outerwears, Port City Racing, R.J.S. Racing Equipment, Racing Optics, Schroeder Torsion Bars, Schoenfeld Headers, Ultra Shield Race Products, Wrisco Industries and XRP, Inc.

Lucas Oil Products is one the fastest growing additive lines in the consumer automotive industry featuring a premium line of oils, greases and problem solving additives.

Through innovative product research and development along with aggressive marketing programs, Lucas Oil Products has established itself as the top selling additive in the industry.

Look for Lucas Oil Products at their favorite automotive retailer or maintenance centre including Drummond Home Hardware, KC Auto Parts, RCM Racing Equipment and Tim Phillips Garage.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=11196.msg80397#msg80397
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

CanadianRacingOnline.com

MCCREADY AND BICKNELL STEAL WINS WHILE PANUNTE DOMINATES
« on: April 25, 2010, 08:11:28 PM »

Offline duken

• Series Owner
Re: MCCREADY AND BICKNELL STEAL WINS WHILE PANUNTE DOMINATES
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 08:48:55 PM »
Joe Middlemiss guest drove the Brad Rouse back-up Baron Roofing Mr. 18 to a 13th place finish while Rouse settled for 17th. Sunset Speedway owner Mark Dilley took in a night of DIRTcar Racing after participating in the PartSource Welland Open House in the afternoon. Race Time Radio’s Joe Chisholm and staff were also pitside.

I am sure the real owners of Sunset will be pleased to read this lol... also should be noted that Kent Kuhn was in this race.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=11196.msg80400#msg80400
" It's not the sentiment of men that create history, it's their actions".

HTML ezBlock

site
stats