Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: MURRAY AND FONTAINE BANK FIRST EVER WINS IN MERRITTVILLE  (Read 1244 times)

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
MURRAY AND FONTAINE BANK FIRST EVER WINS IN MERRITTVILLE MERIDIAN CREDIT UNION NIGHT –

RICHNER, KLAGER AND WILEY SAIL TO WINS TOO IN SALUTE TO THE TROOPS

For Immediate Release - From Jim Irvine

Merrittville Speedway Public Relations

905-892-8266 (Office), jimirvine@cogeco.net or www.twitter.com/merrittville

Thorold, Ontario (May 16) – The reinvented approach to neighborhood banking is keeping Meridian Credit Union members smiling. Ontario’s largest credit union presentation of Merrittville Speedway’s Salute to the Troops Night May 15th certainly had 5 Lucas Oil Weekly Racing Series smiling.

A few weeks into his rookie season in the Original Pizza Logs Sportsman Division – 3 time Hoosier Stock Champ Rob Murray won his first open wheel feature. Veteran Jason Fontaine also won his first career Hoosier Stock Feature at the Thorold DIRTcar sanctioned facility.

Rich Richner, Paul Klager and Aaron Wiley also made their first trips to Victory Lane in 2010 in the L. St. Amand Enterprises 358 Modified, J&S Heating and Air Conditioning Modified Lites and Turn 4 Collision 4 Cylinder Divisions respectively.

The event began with a front-stretch ceremony celebrating the 100th Anniversary of the Canadian Navy with Sportsman Rookie Adam Leslie who revealed a tribute to the Centennial similar to last year’s Salute to Fallen Heroes with his Modified Lite.

Last season, Leslie would win his feature on the Salute to the Troops Night but one year later sailed to a 10th place finish.

The start of the 25 lap Sportsman Feature saw sophomore driver Len Dignard setting the pace at the start before Rob Murray took control out of turn 4 to start lap 2.

“In the heat … I was all over the place,” revealed Murray post race, “but once I got out front in the feature … the car really came to me.”

Murray would pull away to a huge lead right away but all that went away when the only caution on lap 5 slowed the field. Five laps later after the restart Murray had again open up a comfortable lead.

By the halfway point Murray still in control – would come up on slower cars.

“I don’t think it’s really sunk in yet,” admitted Murray Sunday morning, “I can’t believe I led so many laps … I’ve led a few already … but until tonight – I’d never led when it counts … thanks so much to Brian’s Tire … Turn 4 Collision and PineView Drywall and everyone that helped get me here!”

Through increasing lap traffic, runner-up Rick Bellante would close the gap on Murray but had to settle for the runner-up spot. Brad Rouse finished in third spot while BJ Willard and Paul Gaboury closed out the top 5.

Second generation driver Billy Bleich was first to lead the Hoosier Stock Feature. Bleich would almost lose the handle on his car completing one of the early laps causing the field behind him to stack four wide in the chase for top spot.

When everything settled – Jason Fontaine ended up in second spot and would take control of top spot. Vince Fargnoli would follow to take over second before a caution erased Fontaine’s lead.

With Fargnoli and Fontaine now battling for top spot – Ron Loggie joined the top 3 with the three pulling away from the pack. With 5 to go Al Sleight and Brent Begolo were closing in. With 2 laps to go Begolo – who came from deep in the field took over the runner-up spot but could not overtake Fontaine by the finish.

The win for Fontaine was his 20th of his career – although his first at Merrittville.

“I blew the motor earlier,” relayed Fontaine, “we struggled last week, (at Humberstone) … we borrowed a New Generation Engine and worked on the car all week and just got it together today … thanks to Thruway Muffler (Port Colborne) … Lucas Oil and TC Decals and my crew.”

Fontaine and Begolo were followed by Fargnoli, Sleight and Loggie.

Third generation driver Justin Sharp was first to lead the 35 lap Modified Feature before Mike Bowman took control the first time down the front stretch. Bowman ran to a 10 car lead on the field – stretching it by the 1/3 mark and into lap traffic.

By lap 25 – rookie Steve Schumacher, Rick Richner and Boyd MacTavish were closing in on leader Bowman.

By 5 to go the trio had caught up to the leader with Richner taking the runner-up spot on lap 31. One lap later Richner would take control and through to the finish – would stretch his lead to a couple car lengths at the checkered flag.

“Which so much traffic … I really didn’t know what position I was in,” admitted Richner, “ … chasing MacTavish and everyone, “my first clue was when (race director) Bob St. Amand came on the one way – Car 26 to the scales first.”

Richner was followed by Bowman, Schumacher, MacTavish and Travis Braun.

Derek Bredin was first to lead the J&S Heating and Air Conditioning Modified Lite Feature with his dad Bob taking the runner-up spot in the early going.

An early caution found Jason Corless take control. A lap 8 caution eliminated the straightaway lead he’d built. A number of cautions would delay long green flag runs. With Corless setting the pace – Paul Klager would begin to challenge on lap 16.

Chris Steele was on the move in the late stages running around the top while Corless and Klager were battling side by side. Klager took control of top spot out of turn 4 on lap 18 with Josh Sliter following into second spot.

A last lap caution would set up a green white checker finish and in the one lap dash – it was Klager out front with Sliter and Corless following.

“We sure are spoiled here … this track is super fast,” said Klager, “I sure had to fight to get up front … we’ve been working on the car the last few weeks … it’s still not where I want it yet.”

Chris Steele and Andy Tallman closed out the top 5.

Aaron Wiley set the pace early in the Turn 4 Collision 4 Cylinder Feature – surviving a number of early cautions.

“It really helps starting up front,” said Wiley, “but this is a team effort for the entire family … with the two cars and a kart … Jocelynne and Kurtis and I put a lot of time in the garage.”

With Wiley stretching his lead to some 20 car lengths by ½ way … Rob Goulding would take control of the runner-up spot after a battle with Kyle Pelrine.  Jocelynne Wiley would soon challenge Pelrine with the lady racer taking third on lap 12.

“Great job on the track,” added Wiley, “Thanks to our sponsors … they make us look good … it’s up to me to make them look good.”

Wiley, Goulding and Wiley were followed by Rob Overholt and Rocco Conte.

For complete results from the Meridian Credit Union Salute to the Troops Night visit http://www.speednetdirect.com/results.php?track_id=8430

http://www.speednetdirect.com/results.php http://www.speednetdirect.com/results.php

Inside Track Motorsport News Pit Notes

Through the 5 divisions – 122 cars attempted to qualify. Peculiar overcast skies and cool temperatures during the afternoon and evening added up to a fast and tacky track.

UPCOMING AT MERRITTVILLE SPEEDWAY

The Seaway Mall helps kicks off the first holiday doubleheader of the season Saturday May 22nd with the BRP Can Am Late Models featured in addition to the Original Pizza Logs Sportsman, Hoosier Stocks, J&S Heating and Air Conditioning Modified Lites and Turn 4 Collision 4 Cylinders.

Gates open at 5:30. Showtime is 7:00.

Zavitz Financial Strategies and Employee Benefits play host to the 100 lap 358 Modified Super DIRTcar Series on Monday May 24th in addition to the second Duel on the Dirt Home Track Event for the Hoosier Stocks and the first Grantham Lions Ironman Enduro Qualifier accelerated by Niagara College.

Gates Open at the special time of 4:00 and Showtime is at 7:00.

For further information on the 59th Season – race fans and race teams alike can follow Merrittville on Face Book and Twitter. 

Join us this season on a Saturday Night for a LUCAS OIL WEEKLY RACING SERIES EVENT featuring FIVE Divisions featuring local heroes and up and coming new stars and special events including the inaugural June 17th WoO LMS Extravaganza presented by Brian’s Tire Repair Turn 4 Collision and PineView Drywall and brought to race fans by GIANT FM, TV Cogeco, Modern Corporation, Cotton, Inc, Toolneeds, Auto FX Graphics and Signs and IBEW Local 303 Niagara.

WoO LMS Advance Tickets are still available -to get yours – call 905-892-8266 with either VISA or MasterCard or visit the Speedway Office during business hours or on race day.

Crazy Offer!

Race fans – check your 2010 Ticket Stubs for a Crazy Offer from Little Caesars Pizza – located at 572 Niagara Street in Welland. With the purchase of a HOT-N-READY Pizza and Crazy Bread – receive a Free Crazy Bread!

Sounds Good!

Enjoy all the play by play from the Merrittville Announce Team of Clint Geoffrey, Mikey Kruchka and Fran Buschardt and special guests all season long on our new state of the art Yorkville NX Series Loudspeakers. Race fans and teams can also tune into 89.9 FM to listen to live feeds from our FM Transmitter.

Your Local Dirt Track is where it's at!! Merrittville Speedway "The Best Family Entertainment in Niagara"

Make your plans … call your friends and maybe even get a carpool together and enjoy a staycation at the speedway with plenty of free parking and camping spots – a night at the races is so much fun and so close to home!

Your Local Dirt Track is where it’s at!!! Merrittville Speedway ‘The Best Family Entertainment in Niagara.”

MERRITTVILLE SPEEDWAY SPONSORS

The 2010 Lucas Oil Weekly Racing Series for Merrittville Speedway’s 5 Divisions is brought to race fans and racers by division sponsors – L. St. Amand Enterprises, Original Pizza Logs, J&S Heating and Air Conditioning, Hoosier Tire Canada and Turn 4 Collision in addition to contingency sponsors Bicknell Racing Products, Bilstein Shock Absorbers, Brodix Cylinder Heads, Hoosier Tire, Lucas Oil Products, Inside Track Motorsport News, Intercomp, ISC Racer’s Tape, Jaz Products, Kirkey Racing Fabrication, Motorsports Safety Systems, Outerwears, Port City Racing, R.J.S. Racing Equipment, Racing Optics, Schroeder Torsion Bars, Schoenfeld Headers, Ultra Shield Race Products, Wrisco Industries and XRP, Inc.

Lucas Oil Products is one the fastest growing additive lines in the consumer automotive industry featuring a premium line of oils, greases and problem solving additives.

Through innovative product research and development along with aggressive marketing programs, Lucas Oil Products has established itself as the top selling additive in the industry.

Look for Lucas Oil Products at their favorite automotive retailer or maintenance centre including Drummond Home Hardware, KC Auto Parts, RCM Racing Equipment and Tim Phillips Garage.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=11307.msg81250#msg81250
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

CanadianRacingOnline.com

HTML ezBlock

site
stats