Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: My view on the NCATS cost issue ( don't worry, no bashing )  (Read 8998 times)

Offline Thayne

• Series Owner
Re: My view on the NCATS cost issue ( don't worry, no bashing )
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 11:14:36 AM »
Barrie97 you say people don't won't to see LM cars in a national series but then you say guys from the states might come up and race.They all run LM style cars.

I understand this. What I meant was, if we were to use old cup chassis...then they would come up fromthe states as I am sure there are plenty kicking around down there.

Freeing up those NCATS cars now, would also be great for the OSS as I am sure they could be converted and blamo you ahve more OSS cars...

I don't think the change would save teams money, what I mean is, bringing in a more noticeable car would give the NCATS more credibility as a whole therefore it would increase series revenue and in the long run help the teams.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6849.msg34939#msg34939

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 11:14:36 AM »

username

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 12:08:35 PM »
why are the ncats so much more money? i read earlier that you could put together a late model with similar hp for almost half the cost.  is this true?
is there only one chassis builder for the series and they charge too much because it's a monopoly?  same for the bodies?  i remember when the nascar guys came and raced cayuga they talked about the cascars on inside winston cup. and schrader said that they used "monroe" style shocks in order to keep the series cost friendly.  have they freed up the rules in this dept.?  not that that is the total difference maker but are these cars that much more advanced than the cascars of two years ago or is this the same cost deal as two or three years ago?  are the cars faster now?  i know they are louder which is nice, the old cascars sounded slow.  this is alot of questions...sorry it's my first post...this site rocks!
we need some inside scoop here...is nascar responsible or is this an old problem?

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6849.msg34940#msg34940

Offline 2fst4u

• Series Owner
    • www.xtremeautomachine.com
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 12:28:46 PM »
mcolls builds a most,Hess built a few this year,bodies all come from performane fiber glass,we use afco shocks no rule change,they are the same as the old cascar nascar focused allot on safety this year.i think our chassis are good bodies will be diffrent next yearwhen we raced in Montreal some bush guys liked our bodies over theres they are all steel and very heavy

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6849.msg34942#msg34942

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 12:28:46 PM »

Offline slowel

• Series Owner
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2007, 12:46:42 PM »
Mr Watson I couldn't agree more this is what I 've been saying for years.I guess me and Glenn are dumb dumbs!

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6849.msg34943#msg34943

Offline AutoAssembler

• Series Owner
    • http://www.rpeer.com
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2007, 01:02:23 PM »
Don't you think eventually NASCAR will run the same spec car for the Busch East, Busch West, Mexican Series as well as our NCATS?

Like I asked in a previous post, all the top guys are headed to Irwindale this weekend. Now what do the likes of JR Fitzpatrick, DJ Kennington, Thomson Jr., Andrew Ranger, etc., do??? Their current spec cars are no good to race down there. Now if our guys do want to race down there to get the recognition they deserve and race against their peers, they either have to prepare a car for 1 race (which in most cases would be out of the question) or rent one (in which case the car most likely wouldn't be to their high quality standards, if it were their own team car). Now this gives our guys a disadvatage right from the get go, imho.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6849.msg34944#msg34944
Randy

-----------------------------------------
2008: DIS, NSS, Cayuga, Ste. Eustache, Barrie, Mosport, Kawartha, Sun Valley, Edmonton, Trois Rivieres, Circuit Villeneuve, Riverside.

Offline southernsponsor

• Team Owner
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2007, 01:40:52 PM »
Nascar has not made the series cost any more other than some safety features  and adding a race in the maritimes, We are beeing told that there are very little changes coming for the next two years,  this year they want 1" square tubing to encase the fuel cells (cradles)and they are talking about tubular lowers still.  the reasoning for the tubular lowers is sooner or later we wont be able to find the stock ones, so why not change now, and from what i have been told you can still run your old ones out.  with regards to a 50k motor...i would not pay that for a motor ever, we pay half that for decent power (500hp),  the guys with 530 or 540 are spending the big bucks (35k to 40k) for the extra 40 horse.  
  the theory of the grand national style cars coming is a good one but nascar has told us they are looking into the one piece composite body (fiberglass mixed with some other carbon type materials) and they are also working on a spec motor for the future touring divisions. The cost of of the spec motor is around 25k us and it includes all dressings from pan to carb and even headers and distributar.  but this all is only in discovery stage and we are good with our equipment for at least a couple years.
  personally, i like the look of our cars (ncats)  and if you think about it the majority of us can tell the difference between a cup car (old style)  and a ncats car, but the average fan or new fan has no idea,  nor do they care as long as the cars look good (shiny and no body damage) and the racing is good.  this year the Ncats had awesome racing and alot of fans turned out to see it.  it is only going to get better and as corporate canada starts to realize the marketing oppurtunity in the series it is going to take off like a frieght train,and if you want to be involved jump on now and ride the wave.
   evan,this ranting and bashing always happens in the offseason, and it should stop, we are all obviously race fans and we should support all forms of racing in canada.  this site is great and we need someone like yourself to look after it as you are a race fan too.  someone interested in your site might not have the passion you do. unless espn or tsn  wants buy it from you for millions  and pay you to run it!!!!! now thats differnet, in that case i could find a spot on the #21 car for your site adress lol. anyway  hopefully mid comes back and you have calmed down...great site and thanks providing it for us. #21 Jason White NCATS

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6849.msg34945#msg34945

username

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2007, 01:45:08 PM »
autoassembler i hear you....that sucks for our guys, hopefully their sponsors kick in some dough.
i like the idea of all these series using the same car, for this very reason,
maybe as part of the year end awards there can be a cash kick in from nascar canada to help rent these eligible drivers a ride since they are behind the 8-Ball, I bet their sponsors and the series will be missing some prime-time exposure on the speed network if they don't make it down this weekend...shame.  But worst of all, these drivers won't be able to display their talent to the "scouts"

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6849.msg34946#msg34946

username

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2007, 02:40:20 PM »
thanks Jason for the info...that sheds some light...
i was at the kawartha race it was a good show, the cars looked great to me and the race itself was good too.  i think what's happening here is a mix between bashing and constructive criticism.  good thing is we are talking about the series and there are quite a few good ideas that come from this site.  sometimes people sound just plain jealous...but it makes you laugh and come back to see what the response is.  there is equal opportunity to defend.  i guess it's all in how it's written so Evan has to be careful not to take all the controversy off the boards or it will not generate the traffic or ideas or new members.  i hope that whatever nascars plans are just help guys like you to keep on racing and get a shot at the boys down south when you've earned it...
good luck...

PS  I think someone should rent scanners at your races for the hardcore fans to listen in on the radio to know pit strategy and problems and such...someone should run that idea past someone..

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6849.msg34950#msg34950

Offline hill3

• Series Owner
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2007, 02:42:33 PM »
southernsponsor have they given you a indication of which tubular lowers they would allow or will they allow the teams to make their own? we are also looking at tube lowers in the west for next year due to cost mainly.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6849.msg34951#msg34951
THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!      -PARA TODA MI VIDA-

Offline Mobil1fan

• Series Owner
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2007, 03:46:03 PM »
Just remember what NASCAR says and what they actually do can be two different things at times...If the pressure's there from the Cup teams to switch specs, then NASCAR will switch specs, as NASCAR never lets the big teams suffer...

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6849.msg34960#msg34960

Offline Thayne

• Series Owner
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2007, 04:56:12 PM »
Jason, your input is more than greatly appreciated! Thanks for posting that info. With regards to your opinion that the average fan cannot distinguish between the types of cars, I think that it is wrong. When the NCATS came to Barrie my family took friends of ours who are not big race fans to the races and they immediately recognized the NASCAR brand and figured they were going to a NASCAR race (i guesse in a way they were). When we got there and they were doing the driver introductions, the first thing they asked is where are the NASCAR's? I understand that this might be an isolated occurrence, but it immediately raises the question in my head of whether other less-than-casual fans could recognize the NCATS as a division of NASCAR.

This in turn leads to corporate-Canada saying the same thing. If we are paying NASCAR dollars to advertise on a car, then why does it not look like a NASCAR? I think that maybe I am playing into this a lil too much, but like i said, that comment really made me think. The best thing for the series to me is to get it on an even keel with the other NASCAR side projects, and these kinds of cars do not do that in my opinion.

just my $0.02

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6849.msg34970#msg34970

Offline Thayne

• Series Owner
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2007, 09:40:11 PM »
BUMP

I think this is a great thread and would like to see others takes on it!

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6849.msg35007#msg35007

Offline DWfan4ever

• Series Owner
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2007, 12:22:45 AM »
Ok fully read this entire thread before commenting, now hopefully I remember what all I wanted to say.  First in regards to the attendance I can attest that attendance was enormous this year compared to the past seasons.  I attended both Cayuga events, Kawartha, Barrie, Mosport oval all the races were action packed from beginning to end.  And as commented by slapdown not just at the front of the pack, yes the fields were no bigger then the past couple of seasons but the actuall quality of driving by those teams and drivers was improved.  Yes I'm fully aware that the NCATS are not the same body as NASCAR US but really that's what makes NASCAR Canada and not NASCAR US.  Unfortunatley since the media is refusing to give this sport a shot in the papers, its gonna be tough for Corporate Canada to get the increased exposure they are gonna demand from potential drivers and teams.  As for scanners my suggestion is getting ahold of Glenn Watson he'll hook you up good.  My one suggestion to NASCAR Canada is to carry the race feed on a channel similar to what Barrie did this year as that was the only track that carried the flag to flag coverage on a scanner frequency.  In regards to the teams heading south, only 1 is attending of the 3 originally mentioned and they are definitely at a disadvantage due to the difference in the cars so hopefully that get's balance by NASCAR over the next couple of seasons as the teams and drivers in Canada deserve the right to showcase their skills in a bigger market.  Well that's all I can remember for now but will post more if I remember what I forgot.  I just wish we didn't have to wait 8 months till the next NASCAR Canada event.  Someone fix this winter weather!!!!

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6849.msg35023#msg35023

Offline Thayne

• Series Owner
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2007, 02:54:08 PM »
Ok fully read this entire thread before commenting, now hopefully I remember what all I wanted to say.  First in regards to the attendance I can attest that attendance was enormous this year compared to the past seasons.  I attended both Cayuga events, Kawartha, Barrie, Mosport oval all the races were action packed from beginning to end.  And as commented by slapdown not just at the front of the pack, yes the fields were no bigger then the past couple of seasons but the actuall quality of driving by those teams and drivers was improved.  Yes I'm fully aware that the NCATS are not the same body as NASCAR US but really that's what makes NASCAR Canada and not NASCAR US.  Unfortunatley since the media is refusing to give this sport a shot in the papers, its gonna be tough for Corporate Canada to get the increased exposure they are gonna demand from potential drivers and teams.  As for scanners my suggestion is getting ahold of Glenn Watson he'll hook you up good.  My one suggestion to NASCAR Canada is to carry the race feed on a channel similar to what Barrie did this year as that was the only track that carried the flag to flag coverage on a scanner frequency.  In regards to the teams heading south, only 1 is attending of the 3 originally mentioned and they are definitely at a disadvantage due to the difference in the cars so hopefully that get's balance by NASCAR over the next couple of seasons as the teams and drivers in Canada deserve the right to showcase their skills in a bigger market.  Well that's all I can remember for now but will post more if I remember what I forgot.  I just wish we didn't have to wait 8 months till the next NASCAR Canada event.  Someone fix this winter weather!!!!

Great post. It did appear that the pack ahd somewhat tightened up. I mean Derek Lynch won a race and at the first rac ein Barrie he was struggling to sstay on the lead lap. There really was alot of parity this year and that always makes for a great series and is the main thing that you want ion a big travelling series. Thats why NASCAR is so popular. There are great races for 10th, 20th and 30th...instead of in Formula one where there is never a great battle except for at the start.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6849.msg35052#msg35052

Offline tucker

• Race Fan
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2007, 06:11:20 PM »
  Just read all these posts on here and there are i am going to add my 2 cents worth. First of all , i was at 3 of the races this year, Kawartha, Cayuga , and the first race at Barrie. All three races were very entertaining, competitive. and I did not see one dissapointed fan out of the thousands in attendance. Being a former participant in the series and many others I would have to say that the racing this year in the NCTS was some of the best this country has seen in many years. As much as it is an expensive series to run , some of the costs discussed on here are greatly exagerated , and it is not meant to be an entry level crate motor late model series, that is what your saturday night short tracks are for. I do agree crates are great and having attended Flamborough twice this year , make for very competitive and affordable racing.
   The NCATS  is loaded with talent, has great racing and awesome looking cars, so why do you want to reinvent it after a year ? Support the series, get out to some races and enjoy it while it lasts! Just my 2 cents.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=6849.msg36096#msg36096

HTML ezBlock

site
stats