Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: Vilarino in Daytona - Day 1 : “The feeling is good”  (Read 916 times)

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
Vilarino in Daytona - Day 1 : “The feeling is good”
« on: February 19, 2013, 06:17:59 PM »

DAYTONA, USA – Monday, 18th February was the first appearance for Ander VIlarino in Daytona for the first edition of the UNOH Battle At The Beach. He discovered everything, and the car first. For his first run with the #92 EXOTICS RACING by FJ Chevrolet Impala SS, he sets a promising 16th fastest time, between Kyle Larson, 2012 K&N Pro Series East champion, and Dylan Kwasniewski, 2012 K&N Pro Series West champion. A great start in this competition of very high level with 30 competitors!

Ander, how was the feeling with the car you discovered today ?
The feeling is good but we unfortunately had a little problem and we have lost a little bit of time. Then, after this the car was ok. Maybe be a little understeer. I think this track will be tough for the brakes during the race, as at the end of the session they seemed to be a little bit burned. We need to find out how we can cool down the temperature more than we are doing right now. Compare to Euro-Racecar NASCAR car, you have more power (600 hp), it’s heavier and it brakes a little bit less. This is the main difference, as when you touch the pedal, the car goes on the left. It’s a very short-track and we are very close from the first one.

What about the track ?
The track is good. Turn 3 & 4 are ok, but when you arrive on turn 1 there are some bumps and the car moves a little bit. On this track, the main thing is to have a car which turn. If you have it, it’s easier to be flat-out at the exit, but it is the same for everybody. We will have to find a good set-up and drive properly.

Your lonely experience on oval was in Tours. What are the differences between those both 0,4 mile tracks ?
Physically, Tours was much more difficult because of the bumps. Regarding the corners, they are different, because in Daytona, each turn looks like hairpins. You have to not stop the car too much and re-accelerate as soon as possible. It’s not easy. Technically, this is more difficult than Tours Speedway, but physically much easier.

Have you been integrated by the others drivers ?
It’s a big family. Then, I’ve talked to Ben Kennedy (winner of the Michelin 100 in Tours) who told me to come to see him if I need some advices. I also have been in touch with Jorge Goeters (NASCAR Mexico Series). The Spanish connection helps a lot (he laughs). It’s a kind guy. I also spoke with Dylan Kwasniewski whom I met in Charlotte and it was good to be with him again.

Was it difficult to make your way in the traffic ?
I’ve not been really in the traffic, because each time I saw somebody in the mirror, I let him pass to concentrate myself on the discovery of the car. I also had a little problem with the radio and I preferred to stay “safe”. You see less than in the Euro-Racecar NASCAR, but anyway, even if I have a spotter, I kept an eye in the mirror.

Were you stress before entering the track for the first time ?
I was a little bit nervous, but only for the handling of the car. Having a car who goes to the left is something new for me. For the rest, I was ok. Maybe some concern with the brakes… It’s a very short-track and we are very close from the first one. I’m not happy with my 16th fastest time and I hope tomorrow will be better.

The words of a perfectionist driver!

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=17031.msg106759#msg106759
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

CanadianRacingOnline.com

Vilarino in Daytona - Day 1 : “The feeling is good”
« on: February 19, 2013, 06:17:59 PM »

HTML ezBlock

site
stats