Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: Robichon and Willis Lead Toyo Tires F1600 Series Despite Strong Contenders  (Read 1032 times)

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
Robichon and Willis Lead Toyo Tires F1600 Series Despite Strong Contenders

TORONTO, ON (May 28, 2013) – The Toyo Tires F1600 Series rolled into Shannonville Motorsport Park this past weekend for the DAC Trillium Trophy Races – always a popular stop on the schedule.

Race 1 of the weekend’s double-header had some great action with close racing in both classes.

The A Class showdown was mainly between multi-time champion Shane Jantzi from Ayr, Ontario and the ultra fast newcomer Zacharie Robichon of Ottawa.

“It was a good race, especially with it being the first time I’ve led in a car,” said Zacharie Robichon. “Shane was giving me a good run at the beginning, but four laps in I started to pull ahead. I am looking forward to another great race tomorrow.”

The B Class portion of the event had a few more competitors at the front and was a hard fought battle.

Craig Willis grabbed the lead on lap two from pole sitter Andrew Mason, also making his first start of the season, followed by Graham Lobban and Connor Wagland.  Mason looked to be a challenge to Willis at the start, but had to retire from the race due to braking issues.

“I started outside pole, and really concentrated on getting a good start,” said Craig Willis. “I managed to take the lead in the second lap over Andrew, kept my head down and went on to win the race.”

Sunday was much of the same as A Class competitors Zacharie Robichon and Shane Jantzi went tooth and nail for the entire race. Shane Jantzi grabbed the lead at the start of the race from pole-sitter Robichon. They battled for position throughout, Robichon making an aggressive move to take the lead just before the halfway point and holding on for the victory.

“Shane had a good jump on the start and managed to get out in front. I knew I had to stay behind him and force him into a mistake so that I could spring by,” said Zacharie Robichon. “Going into the corner four laps in, Shane got up on a curb and lost a bit of traction coming out of it. I managed to squeeze by and gain the lead, but he kept me honest throughout the whole race. Overall it was a really good race, and I had a lot of fun out there.”

Andrew Mason served notice once again that he would be the man to beat in B Class as he secured the pole for Race 2. Craig Willis, winner of the first two events of the season, shadowed Mason in the early going and they exchanged the top spot several times.

Mason eventually was forced to retire from the event due to engine problems and Willis took the win – keeping his perfect streak intact with 4 wins on the season.

“I started the race off pole again, but was able to get a great start and got ahead of Andrew on corner one,” said Craig Willis. “He kept the pressure on for quite a few laps, and managed to get past me on the back straight. I knew I had to keep on him, and when his car had some issues that made him pull off, I kept my composure and was really happy to end it with a win.”

Next up for the Series is the ultra-fast Canadian Tire Motorsport Park for the BARC Grand Prix of Ontario on June 22/23.

Saturday May 25, A Class Results:

Name
 POS
 No. #
 Best Time
 Sponsor
 Hometown

Zacharie Robichon
 1:52.112
 BGR Team Grote
 Ottawa, ON

Shane Jantzi
 1:51.952
 Faul Farms
 Ayr, ON

Jason Bedasse
 2:01.175
 BGR Team Grote
 Toronto, ON

Saturday May 25, B Class Results:

Name
 POS
 No. #
 Best Time
 Sponsor
 Hometown

Craig Willis
 1:53.194

Georgetown, ON

Graham Lobban
 1:55.083

Cambridge, ON

Connor Wagland
 1:54.882
 Burloak Cycle / Jones Tool
 Dundas, ON

Sunday May 26, A Class Results:

Name
 POS
 No. #
 Best Time
 Sponsor
 Hometown

Zacharie Robichon
 1:52.292
 BGR Team Grote
 Ottawa, ON

Shane Jantzi
 1:52.280
 Faul Farms
 Ayr, ON

Jason Bedasse
 2:00.334
 BGR Team Grote
 Toronto, ON

Sunday May 26, B Class Results:

Name
 POS
 No. #
 Best Time
 Sponsor
 Hometown

Craig Willis
 1:52.995

Georgetown, ON

Graham Lobban
 1:53.302

Cambridge, ON

Mike Lee
 1:58.756

East York, ON

Photos by Michael Haley

The Toyo Tires F1600 Championship Series is the premiere open wheel series in Ontario, sanctioned by CASC Ontario Region and proudly supported by Toyo Tires, MG Homes, Cove Dentistry, MK Technologies, Braidan Tires and Rod Ends Mechanical. The series is comprised of a seven event, double header format and competes at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park, Shannonville Motorsport Park and Calabogie Motorsport Park.

SERIES CONTACT: Jason Sharpe, (416) 557-5451 or jasons@movemotorsports.com, Twitter: @jasonsharpe
If additional photographs are required please contact Jason Sharpe (416) 557-5451 or jasons@movemotorsports.com

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=17636.msg107571#msg107571
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

CanadianRacingOnline.com

HTML ezBlock

site
stats