Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: New guy..What 4cyl would Rock!?  (Read 1840 times)

Offline Zedd564

• Race Fan
New guy..What 4cyl would Rock!?
« on: October 29, 2013, 01:37:56 AM »
Hey all,
I want to get into racing next year so I have decided to cut my teeth in the Feature Stock class at Edmonton Int'l Raceway.
The rules state a  4cyl SOHC, auto, no turbo, no sport coupes allowed (Honda preludes)  For Honda(90-93) only engines allowed are F22A1 and F22A4
DOHC allowed for cavalier, or sunfire only.
No AWD

I am finding it quite challenging narrowing my choices to the SOHC. Its obviously going to be an older vehicle, and I need to keep the price pretty low.

I have been looking at jetta or golfs (a MKII would be awesome...but very hard to find). I was also thinking a neon or sebring (since they are a dime a dozen)
Dodge omni or shadow maybe

Any ideas or suggestions?  I need a little help narrowing my choices to stay competitive.

Thanks

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=18717.msg109739#msg109739

CanadianRacingOnline.com

New guy..What 4cyl would Rock!?
« on: October 29, 2013, 01:37:56 AM »

Offline disturber

• Rookie Driver
Re: New guy..What 4cyl would Rock!?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 05:24:02 PM »
f24a1 and 4   135 hp, 142 torque in 90s accords
not many accords racing, heavier than civics with the similar hp so nobody bothers. Hondas are extremely easy to swap better parts into (although f series is a bigger challenge) and hard to tech. accords come as auto but 90-93 accords with the correct engine are pretty rare. transmission ratio choices are very limited with auto. every 16 year old tuner kid with a laptop can tune your ecu

early 2000s cavaliers and sunfires with the 2.2 ecotech are 140 hp, 150 torque. came as automatic and are very common. lots of very fast cavaliers racing where the dohc is allowed. there is only one ratio trans available. tuneable, but not as easy as some cars like the hondas. many websites and clubs to find good info on these

2001-2003 sohc neon r/t is 150 hp, 135 torque. they never came as an automatic but one could be bolted up. there are tons of neons racing and many automatic classes in the US. Neon auto transmissions can have the ratio changed. some performance ecus available if you look
the non r/t neon is 135 hp. nice thing is you can't hardly swing a dead cat without hitting one

VWs are under powered (115hp) but can be lightened up alot. the auto transmission is unlikely to hold up to racing. motronic ecu from 93-98 can be chipped for a few hp and limiter but not much

omni and shadow would never keep up with neons and cavaliers

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=18717.msg109741#msg109741

Offline 240racer

• Series Owner
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 07:10:46 PM »
240sx

Why?

Because 140hp, 150 torque, and  RWD like a race car should be.

But I guess they probably consider that a "sport coupe"

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=18717.msg109742#msg109742

CanadianRacingOnline.com

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 07:10:46 PM »

Offline Zedd564

• Race Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 06:24:28 PM »
240sx

Why?

Because 140hp, 150 torque, and  RWD like a race car should be.

But I guess they probably consider that a "sport coupe"

Thanks for the reply 240Racer...I would love to but the rules say FWD only, or my options would open up dramatically....but I like where you're goin :)

early 2000s cavaliers and sunfires with the 2.2 ecotech are 140 hp, 150 torque. came as automatic and are very common. lots of very fast cavaliers racing where the dohc is allowed. there is only one ratio trans available. tuneable, but not as easy as some cars like the hondas. many websites and clubs to find good info on these

2001-2003 sohc neon r/t is 150 hp, 135 torque. they never came as an automatic but one could be bolted up. there are tons of neons racing and many automatic classes in the US. Neon auto transmissions can have the ratio changed. some performance ecus available if you look
the non r/t neon is 135 hp. nice thing is you can't hardly swing a dead cat without hitting one

VWs are under powered (115hp) but can be lightened up alot. the auto transmission is unlikely to hold up to racing. motronic ecu from 93-98 can be chipped for a few hp and limiter but not much

omni and shadow would never keep up with neons and cavaliers

There's some good data there...Thanks disturber!
I've gone around the room with some other fellas I know who hobby race, and they would agree with you as well...neon's keep coming up as the choice for power, flexibility and price.

Thanks!

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=18717.msg109755#msg109755

HTML ezBlock

site
stats