Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: Fitzpatrick’s Day Ends Early After Accident; Finishes 21st at Michigan  (Read 1216 times)

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
J.R. Fitzpatrick
No. 4 Auto-Owners Insurance Chevrolet Silverado

Michigan 200 Post-Race Report

Fitzpatrick’s Day Ends Early After Accident; Finishes 21st at Michigan

BROOKLYN, Mich. (June 14, 2009) – J.R. Fitzpatrick’s first career start at Michigan International Speedway began on a high note, as the Cambridge, Ontario, Canada native started eighth in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Michigan 200 and ran inside the top 10 most of the race in the Kevin Harvick Inc. (KHI) No. 4 Auto-Owners Insurance truck. He ran as high as the fifth position before being involved in an accident on lap 64 that caused his day to end early.

“We had a good truck all weekend and could have definitely finished in the top 10, no question,” said Fitzpatrick. “I was running 10th on that restart on lap 63 and the trucks in front of me got a little jammed up. I went low to avoid contact and actually had it saved before it went around on me. The guys did an awesome job in the pits and picked up positions for me every time, so I want to thank them for that. I also want to thank the people at Auto-Owners Insurance for stepping up to the plate this week with sponsorship.”

Fitzpatrick was running in the 10th position and fighting a tight condition when the second caution of the race came out on lap 25 after an accident in turn one involving Chad McCumbee, Stacy Compton and KHI teammate Ron Hornaday. Crew chief John Monsam made the call for Fitzpatrick to come down pit road under caution on lap 29 to take four tires and again for fuel and a track-bar adjustment on lap 30. A quick, clean pit stop by the No. 4 crew put Fitzpatrick in the sixth position for the restart on lap 33.

After the caution came out on lap 34 for a multi-truck accident in turn four involving Johnny Sauter, David Starr, Mike Skinner and Todd Bodine, Fitzpatrick gained another spot to fifth, his highest position of the day, as the race restarted on lap 38. The No. 4 truck’s handling went to the loose side soon after the green flag waved and Fitzpatrick settled into the seventh position before rallying back to take the sixth spot on lap 55.

The fourth caution of the race came on lap 59 because of debris on the race track. Still running in the sixth position, Fitzpatrick came down pit road for his second cycle of pit stops on lap 61 when he took four tires. When he came back down pit road for fuel on lap 62, a malfunction with the gas can slowed the stop and caused Fitzpatrick to restart the race from the 10th position on lap 64.

As the field began exiting turn two on the restart, the truck of Dennis Setzer slowed in front of Fitzpatrick. Fitzpatrick tried to make a pass to the inside of Setzer, but his truck spun and made contact with the outside retaining wall. The crew attempted to repair the truck in the garage area, but was unable to return to the track before the race ended, relegating them to the 21st-place finish. Colin Braun won the race, earning his first career truck series victory. Rounding out the top five were Kyle Busch, Brian Ickler, Matt Crafton and Mike Skinner.

The series will resume Friday, June 19, at The Milwaukee (Wisc.) Mile with Ricky Carmichael behind the wheel of the KHI All-Stars No. 4 Monster Energy truck.

Race Recap

Date: June 13, 2009

Track: Michigan International Speedway

Event Name: Michigan 200

Race length: 100 laps/200 miles

Start: 8th

Finish: 21st

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=9882.msg68581#msg68581
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

CanadianRacingOnline.com

HTML ezBlock

site
stats