Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: Andretti Autosport Race Preview: 97th Indianapolis 500  (Read 739 times)

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
IZOD IndyCar Series
Race Preview: 97th Indianapolis 500

Carlos Muñoz, No. 26 Unistraw Chevrolet

Making his leap from Firestone Indy Lights to the IZOD IndyCar Series, Munoz will attempt to make his first ever Indianapolis 500 driving the No. 26 Unistraw Chevrolet. The Colombian native hopes to become the ninth rookie ever to win the 500.

"It's been nice having a couple days off to relax and refocus. This is going to be a really long race, but it will be really nice to start from the front row. It's going to be a tough race, but my main goal is to finish it, do a great job and to finish this month the way I started it."

Marco Andretti, No. 25 RC Cola Chevrolet

Andretti will make his career best Indianapolis 500 start on Sunday when his RC Cola Chevy rolls off from the third grid position. This is the eighth Indy 500 start for the third-generation racer; his best finish on the 2.5-mile oval came in 2006 when he finished second - one of the closest finishes in Indy 500 history. During the 2012 running, Andretti led four times for 59 laps, the most of any driver,  but recorded a 24th-place finish after contact in Turn 1 retired him from the race with only 13 laps remaining.

"I'm excited to get back in the RC Chevy after having a few days off. I think we have a great race car even better then our starting position, which is going to give us a good chance heading into the race. We are starting on the front row and we'll fight for 500 miles to be sure we are up there on the lap that counts."

E.J. Viso, No. 5 Team Venezuela PDVSA CITGO Chevrolet

Viso will roll off from the grid in his best career Indy 500 start from the inside of the second row in fourth. The 97th Running of the Indianapolis 500 will be the Venezuelan's sixth start and first with Andretti Autosport; Viso's best finish at Indianapolis Motor Speedway was in 2012 when he finished in the 18th position.

"After a very intense week of testing I think that having a little bit of a break and sharing some time with the sponsors and all the supporters is a good thing before heading into the big day. Sunday is a very special day for all of us, and having one last shot on Friday to make sure everything is in the right place for the race is something that is definitely a big benefit."

Ryan Hunter-Reay, No. 1 DHL Chevrolet   
Hunter-Reay will make his sixth Indianapolis 500 start on Sunday from the sixth position. The reigning IZOD IndyCar Series Champion started the 2012 running from the outside of Row 1, but fell back due to handling issues. Hunter-Reay fought his way back up, reaching as high as second place on Lap 96 before a mechanical failure led to his departure from the race on Lap 123 -- he finished 27th.

"We have a lot of events this week for our partners and sponsors - it's all just the build up to our race. I really enjoy getting all the support in Indianapolis. T his is the time when you see everyone come out and get excited for the 500. I'm looking forward to getting back into the No. 1 DHL Chevy and heading into this weekend's race. We've been working really hard on the race car's setup and hopefully it will pay off on Sunday."

James Hinchcliffe, No. 27 GoDaddy.com Chevrolet

Hinchcliffe, who started the 2012 Indy 500 from the second position, will take the ninth grid spot for Sunday's 500-mile race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The 97th running will mark his third '500' start in Indianapolis, where his best finish is sixth (2012). The Canadian led in the 2012 race three times totaling five laps.

"We were really happy with the GoDaddy Chevy on Sunday (Bump Day), and I'm looking forward to be back in the car on Friday for our last practice. We are starting a little further back than my teammates, but still pleased to be in the first three rows... after all, a lot can happen in 500 miles and it can be done from sixth."

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=17583.msg107501#msg107501
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

CanadianRacingOnline.com

HTML ezBlock

site
stats