Attention: Guests by accessing CRO, you agree to the site terms. Please read the terms of CRO Click Here

Author Topic: Cory Turner Rolls To Fourth-Straight Podium FInish at Ohsweken  (Read 620 times)

Offline CanadianRacingOnline

• What Should Be Here????
  • Administrator
  • Series Owner
  • 13 Seasons we have been around for.
Cory Turner Rolls To Fourth-Straight Podium FInish at Ohsweken

Cory Turner drives his No.97 Sprint Car at Ohsweken Speedway on Friday, June 8. (Photo by Dale Calnan/Image Factor Media).   

CAISTOR CENTRE, Ont. – June 12, 2018 – Cory Turner continued his strong start to the Ohsweken Speedway season when he earned his fourth-straight podium finish to start the season on Friday, June 8. Turner claimed a third-place finish aboard his KT Tobacco/Silo Wireless No.97 Sprint Car after starting eighth for the 20-lap Feature event.

“We only had four podiums at Ohsweken all of last year and we’ve already got four this year, so that’s pretty good,” Turner said happily. “We just need to keep getting podium finishes.”

The night started with a sixth-place time in hot laps and Turner felt comfortable with the car knowing he had the pole starting spot for the third heat of the night. With the top position came some added pressure as Ohsweken’s passing points systems penalizes drivers who finish below their starting position.

“I saw Mikey Kruchka on the board and that he went sixth to second behind me, so I knew he was going to be right there,” Turner said. “I made sure I got a good jump on the last restart and used a lot of racetrack to beat him. If you start on the pole, you have to run first or second or you’re not going to get in the redraw.”

Turner qualified into the redraw and was the seventh driver to pull a number when he selected eighth, the highest starting position available to the redraw drivers. Turner, however, looked at the situation positively, knowing he would likely be able to gain some speed off the initial start in the outside groove.

“On the starts, the outside row seems to go a little bit better, unless you’re starting on the pole,” Turner explained. “My row took off pretty good and I got a couple of guys in the first corner and then a got a couple more guys on the next lap. We were up to fourth pretty early and I was pretty happy with the car.”

After a couple of red flags early in the race, Turner used a mid-race restart to challenge leader Dylan Westbrook with a couple of slide jobs in a bid for the lead.

“We had a couple of long reds, but after that we were definitely gaining on Dylan in lapped traffic,” Turner recalled. “He got held up a little bit and I had some clear track and at that point I was just trying to go where he wasn’t. After the long red for Mack (DeMan) and Dan (Nanticoke), I threw a couple of sliders at him and I tried to shorten them up, but I didn’t make them short enough and he crossed me over.”

Over the final five laps, Turner’s car got progressively tight, which caused him to slip over the banking in turns three and four with two laps to go and fall to his eventual finishing position in third.

“We just got wicked tight and the car was a handful to drive,” Turner said. “We got over the cushion and ended up third.”

Turner will be back in action at Ohsweken on Friday, June 15 for Wall of Fame and the Kids Race for the Canadian National Autism Foundation night. For additional event information, visit www.ohswekenspeedway.ca.

CORY TURNER SEASON STATS
97 Cory Turner – 6 Starts: 0 Wins, 4 Top-5s, 4 Top-10s

CORY TURNER MEDIA
Facebook: facebook.com/CoryTurnerMotorsports
Twitter: @CTMotorsports_
YouTube: YouTube.com/RacingTeamTurner

MAILING LIST
Join the Cory Turner Motorsports mailing list by emailing claytonjohnsmedia@gmail.com with the subject “Cory Turner Motorsports” to be added to the list.

CORY’S CREW
Cory Turner is proud to partner with several dedicated marketing partners for the 2018 race season, including KT Tobacco, Insta-Panels, Braemar Building Systems, Silo Wireless, Mobil 1, Kings Wood Products, Gale’s Auto Aftermarket, Skyway Lawn Equipment, Pyett Spring & Alignment, DSE Performance, Six Nations Bingo, Malabar Super Spice, JNE Recovery, V&R Recycling, Plazek Auto Recyclers, Hauser’s Pharmacy, KT Gas & Convenience, The Truck Toppers, CJ Mulholland Mattress Factory, Rondex, Silverdale Gun Club, Barlow Farms, Mike Morris Holdings, Bryan’s Farm Supply, Total Coatings, Hitchman Trailers, V&R Hose & Hydraulics, RCM Racing Equipment, Top Flight Wings, Tetra-Chem Industries, Wix Filters, Creative Edge Signs & Graphics, Northern Performance, Charlie Bee Honey, and ImageFactor.ca.

About Clayton Johns Media: Clayton Johns Media provides smart motorsports media solutions through affordable public relations services, including professional press releases, social media management and training, and website maintenance. Whether you’re a grassroots team racing at your local track or a professional team travelling with a national tour, Clayton Johns Media can build a package tailored to your needs. Visit us online at claytonjohnsmedia.com, on Twitter, on Facebook or send us an Email for more information.

Linkback: https://www.canadianracingonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=26130.msg118697#msg118697
Canadian Racing Archive Project.
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/

CanadianRacingOnline.com

HTML ezBlock

site
stats